How Many Tiger Barbs Should Be In A 29 Gallon Tank?

1. B

Buddy20 New Member Member

In my tank I currently have 1 opaline gourami, 4 tiger barbs, and 1 albino bristlenose pleco. The tiger barbs don't bother the gourami or the pleco but I read that I should have more tiger barbs. How many tiger barbs can I have (with my current fish) in my tank?

2. a

arik wenzel Valued Member Member

I was always told the more tiger Barb's the more reckless they will become.

3. OP
    OP
    B

Thanks for the input! Do you have any recommendations on fish that I could put in the tank with them?

4. a

I have a buddy who keeps platies with them

5. OP
    OP
    B

Huh. I would think the plaited would be to small. Do you know how long he's had them together?

6. a

Years they pick off some babies here and there but he keeps more platties then Barb's so that might help

7. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

They are aggressive, but keep their aggression within the group as long as there are enough of them. With four - if you lose one, yikes. I'd consider two more, and maybe a group of rosy barbs.
    The idea of recklessness - yes, they will be crazier. But they are crazy by nature. They won't be 'mean' in larger groups though. In small groups, they can expect tankmates to live by their wild rules, and tankmates don't. Well, rosy barbs do.

8. a

Good to know I've always wanted to try them but were always deterred from them

9. OP
    OP
    B

Thank you!