How many Tetra??

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Lou Bear, Dec 5, 2012.

1. L

Lou Bear New Member Member

Hello.

I have a 30 gallon (uk) tank which contains 2 guppies, 4 otos and 5 shrimp. I would really like to have a pair of golden rams and some tetra.
    I love cardinal tetra and rummy nose tetras and would preferably like both. I have read that they don't school together but was wondering how may of each i would be able to have in my tank.

Thanks

Lou Bear

2. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

The Cardinal Tetras would be fine, but the Golden Rams could eat the shrimp if they were small enough to fit in their mouth.

As far as the Cardinal Tetras, I'd suggest the minimum of 6. You have plenty of room in your tank to add a few more than that if you wanted, though.

3. OP
    OP
    L

I was hoping to have both cardinal tetra an rummy nose. Do you think 6-8 of each? I'll give the rams a miss then. Maybe South American Leaf fish instead??

4. A

The South American Leaf Fish is too aggressive to be in a community tank with Tetras. Also, it would see the Otos as a snack.

I have a few Otos in my tank and they are peaceful catfish. I'd make sure you have other peaceful fish that won't bother them. I have some Neon Tetras (about 12) with my Otos and they get along wonderfully.

A good setup for what you have:

8 Cardinal Tetras
    8 Rummynose Tetras
    8 Guppies
    4 Otos
    4 Red Cherry Shrimp
    2 Crystal Red Shrimp

You'd still have a tad bit of room left. If you wanted to add to the Tetras then that would even be better. They both are schooling fish, btw.

5. OP
    OP
    L

Thanks for your help. That sounds awesome except i'm not so keen on guppies anymore.
    Think i might get 12 cardinals and 12 rummynose but would quite like something bigger, with a bit more impact i guess, that's not a bottom dweller. Don't want to upset the current inhabitants though!!

6. A

You're welcome. :)

If you decide on not having the Guppies in there, then 12 of each Tetra mentioned would work.

You would have a little bit of room left for something else, but note that if it's bigger then it could pester the tetras or it could then crowd the tank. I'd say to be safe, you would have around 10% of the capacity left of the tank. That's a ball park figure.

7. OP
    OP
    L

Hey,

My mum bought me 5 cardinal tetra and 5 rummy nose tetra yesterday and a little angelfish as a birthday present. Very excited!
    Will probably get 5 more of each in a while. Will wait until the tank adjusts to the present stock. Thanks for the help :) Very much appreciated

8. OP
    OP
    L

I can see from threads that the angelfish will probably eat my shrimp in a few months time :( Oh well. Looks like they will be an expensive snack!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice