How Many Somphongsi Rasbora Should I Stock?

1. a

albertagirl Valued Member Member

Hi! I have a 15 gallon cube which I've discussed on a previous thread. I had originally planned on gold ring danios, but unfortunately I have not had any luck getting my hands on any. I did, however, figure out how to reduce the flow in my tank, which was something I was originally not wanting to do, but it was really crazy in there.

Out of the options which are locally available, I finally decided on trigonostigma somphongsi (aka siamese dwarf rasbora?), the little cousin to the espei. I'm trying to decide how many to stock though. I picked up 8 of them today, but they're so tiny I'm wondering if I should have gotten 10 or 12 instead? How many would you recommend for this tank? Only other tankmates will be 2 male platys, and a ton of plants.

Thanks!

2. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

If you have two platies in there too, I think 8 is enough.

3. OP
    OP
    a

Thanks Matt. Anyone else agree, disagree, or otherwise? These are 1.25" fish, and male platys are supposed to stay around 1.5". The tank is roughly a 15" cube.

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with Matt.

5. OP
    OP
    a

Alright. I shall stick with 8. Thanks for the advice. :)

I know they'll grow, but the 8 of them together are barely the size of one halfgrown platy. They're super tiny. Aside from quarantine, should I keep them separated until they're a little bigger? I doubt the platys could swallow them, but there's a significant size difference. Should I be worried?

6. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Nope. Unless they're the size of newborn guppy fry I'm sure they'd be fine. Platies are usually pretty docile with other fish.