How Many Somphongsi Rasbora Should I Stock?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by albertagirl, Aug 6, 2017.

1. a

albertagirl Valued Member Member

Hi! I have a 15 gallon cube which I've discussed on a previous thread. I had originally planned on gold ring danios, but unfortunately I have not had any luck getting my hands on any. I did, however, figure out how to reduce the flow in my tank, which was something I was originally not wanting to do, but it was really crazy in there.

Out of the options which are locally available, I finally decided on trigonostigma somphongsi (aka siamese dwarf rasbora?), the little cousin to the espei. I'm trying to decide how many to stock though. I picked up 8 of them today, but they're so tiny I'm wondering if I should have gotten 10 or 12 instead? How many would you recommend for this tank? Only other tankmates will be 2 male platys, and a ton of plants.

Thanks!

2. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

If you have two platies in there too, I think 8 is enough.

3. OP
    OP
    a

Thanks Matt. Anyone else agree, disagree, or otherwise? These are 1.25" fish, and male platys are supposed to stay around 1.5". The tank is roughly a 15" cube.

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with Matt.

5. OP
    OP
    a

Alright. I shall stick with 8. Thanks for the advice. :)

I know they'll grow, but the 8 of them together are barely the size of one halfgrown platy. They're super tiny. Aside from quarantine, should I keep them separated until they're a little bigger? I doubt the platys could swallow them, but there's a significant size difference. Should I be worried?

6. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Nope. Unless they're the size of newborn guppy fry I'm sure they'd be fine. Platies are usually pretty docile with other fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice