How Many Snails?

KyraNarwhals

Reaction score
So in my 20 gallon tank, I currently have 3 guppies, and 6 Black Neon Tetras.

I don’t know how many fish I’m going to end up having, but I hope 5-6 guppies, some more black neon tetras. Maybe a smaller school of fish. Not 100% sure though.

Anyways, I want snail(s) but I don’t know what kind of snails.

Temperature: 78-82F
Filter: TopFin
Size: 20 Gallon
Stock: Explained Above

I also so plan on getting live plants ASAP, but as of now, I have fake plants.
Image1525385287.000429.jpg

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What do you want the snail to do? (eat algae, be entertaining?). I love, love, love my mystery snail. He is so entertaining. Everyone who sees my tank comments on him. He's beautiful and so fun to watch. He bimbles around the tank all day. However, Mystery snails do need to be fed (they can't live on algae alone).

If you are looking for an algae eater that needs minimal care, then a nerite could be a good option. I love snails, and I don't mind being overun with snails, but you might. Nerites can't breed in freshwater so you won't have a population explosion.

KyraNarwhals

Reaction score
Mazeus said:
What do you want the snail to do? (eat algae, be entertaining?). I love, love, love my mystery snail. He is so entertaining. Everyone who sees my tank comments on him. He's beautiful and so fun to watch. He bimbles around the tank all day. However, Mystery snails do need to be fed (they can't live on algae alone).

If you are looking for an algae eater that needs minimal care, then a nerite could be a good option. I love snails, and I don't mind being overun with snails, but you might. Nerites can't breed in freshwater so you won't have a population explosion.
Hmmm.. I mean eating algae is good. But I definitely want something that is pretty. My friend says I maybe shouldn’t get a mystery snails because they produce a lot of waste and my tank might be too small ;-; I’m very conflicted. Thoughts on getting a Mystery for my 20 gallon?

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I keep mine in a 15g and the bioload is totally manageable. It really depends what else you are putting in the aquarium. If your stocking is already heavy then you may have problems.

KyraNarwhals

Reaction score
Mazeus said:
I keep mine in a 15g and the bioload is totally manageable. It really depends what else you are putting in the aquarium. If your stocking is already heavy then you may have problems.
Thank you~

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nerites. And currently, since you only own plastic plants, you can feed 'em algae wafers, Tums (Yes, the stomach medicine, I give mine the 1,000 mg Tums Ultra lol, but do NOT purchase the MINT flavored Tums!!! And weekly, I toss a Tums tablet into my HOB and canister filters instead of having to EI dose some dry, powdered calcium in ferts) Calcium's good for plants, snails and shrimp! As well as algae of course, cucumber, canned green beans (most anything eats green beans--turtles, fish, snails, shrimp, Plecos, etc.) and garlic saturated Repashy. (I highly recommend that stuff; 5 stars, A+ quality, amazing food! I pretty much buy nothing else) Just some ideas for you is all. I'd get at least 4-6 to start out with.

Zoomo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I vote for a few mystery snails. They are so gosh darn cute and active and have personalities, etc. However, their bioload is huge, and they are piggies.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom