How Many Small Tetras Would You Recomend?

ChuthuluFish

1. How many black neon tetras should I buy at the fish store today.
2. How many could I hold.

0 ammonia
0 nitrite
25-35 nitrate
10 gallon medium to heavily planted.
1 sad tetra survivor who needs friends. Also I only have a 5 gallon quarintine, and they will be there a week or 2. Can I get a quick answer please.

Fishy McGee

5, but of a smaller breed

like neons

Platylover

1. 0
2. 0

A 10 gallon is to small for black neons. It does not provide enough room to swim around and as a result the fish will likely get stressed which will in turn cause issues.

I would not recommend adding any.

Fishy McGee said:
Yes, Black neons and neons both require a larger tank. The only “neon” that works in a 10 gallon is the green neon. But that’s not an option since there’s already a schooling fish of another species in this tank.

Fishy McGee

Platylover said:
1. 0
2. 0

A 10 gallon is to small for black neons. It does not provide enough room to swim around and as a result the fish will likely get stressed which will in turn cause issues.

I would not recommend adding any.

Yes, Black neons and neons both require a larger tank. The only “neon” that works in a 10 gallon is the green neon. But that’s not an option since there’s already a schooling fish of another species in this tank.
He has 1 tetra, a 10 gallonwith green neons should not be a problem

Mcasella

Fishy McGee said:
That's not how it works, fish need groups of their own kind. Not another species which will stress them out.
Black neons need more swimming space than offered by a 20" tank.

Platylover

Fishy McGee said:
To add to what mcasella said. If you were to have a 10 gallon with 6 black neons and 6 green neons, that alone would be overstocked as the fish would have no room to swim around. Add on top of that the fact the black neons shouldn’t even be kept in a 10 gallon and it just becomes worse.

Fishy McGee

Platylover said:
To add to what mcasella said. If you were to have a 10 gallon with 6 black neons and 6 green neons, that alone would be overstocked as the fish would have no room to swim around. Add on top of that the fact the black neons shouldn’t even be kept in a 10 gallon and it just becomes worse.
That is by no means what I am suggesting, I am simply suggesting that if the tank were to be stocked, green neons, being a schooling fish, are typically rather excepting. For example, I have zebra danios, but a fathead minnow jumped into the tank at the distribution center, but they readily accepted it as part of the school. Though a different species, you cannot completely rule out attempting to introduce the black neon to a school of greens. In this case snails and shrimp are all I could suggest to add but neons are able to swim as long as a 10 gallon has a length

Platylover

Fishy McGee said:
That is by no means what I am suggesting, I am simply suggesting that if the tank were to be stocked, green neons, being a schooling fish, are typically rather excepting. For example, I have zebra danios, but a fathead minnow jumped into the tank at the distribution center, but they readily accepted it as part of the school. Though a different species, you cannot completely rule out attempting to introduce the black neon to a school of greens. In this case snails and shrimp are all I could suggest to add but neons are able to swim as long as a 10 gallon has a length
The fish is likely schooling because it has to with the other fish. This is fairly common to be honest, a fish hanging with other fish simply because it needs to feel somewhat safe. If you were to give the fish adequate space and an adequate same species school, it would likely act much differently and much more naturally.

Even if they would “accept” the black neon, that does nothing for the primary concern, space. Just because one school accepts the fish doesn’t mean they can also make the tank an adequate size for said fish.

I understand what your suggesting is to keep two different species together, one with an inadequate school as well as inadequate space. But I disagree that this is a good idea and for me, in my opinion, I do rule it out. It’s an unnecessary thing to do that will likely result in the stress of one or another fish, if not them all.

danhutchins

ChuthuluFish said:
1. How many black neon tetras should I buy at the fish store today.
2. How many could I hold.

0 ammonia
0 nitrite
25-35 nitrate
10 gallon medium to heavily planted.
1 sad tetra survivor who needs friends. Also I only have a 5 gallon quarintine, and they will be there a week or 2. Can I get a quick answer please.
I wouldn't do more than 6in a 10 gallon. Also wouldn't add all at once. Do 3 now 3 in a few days.

Fishy McGee

I respect that, so what would you suggest as an alternative?

danhutchins

danhutchins said:
I wouldn't do more than 6in a 10 gallon. Also wouldn't add all at once. Do 3 now 3 in a few days.
They only get 4cm in length. Not sure why they wouldn't do well in a small tank as long as the stock doesn't get out of hand. 6 should be fine and have plenty of room to swim around.

Fishy McGee

danhutchins said:
They only get 4cm in length. Not sure why they wouldn't do well in a small tank as long as the stock doesn't get out of hand. 6 should be fine and have plenty of room to swim around.
My comment was directed towards PlatyLover

Platylover

Fishy McGee said:
I respect that, so what would you suggest as an alternative?
Well, what I would suggest would be either a tank upgrade to a 20long so that the fish can thrive and have a healthy life or to rehome the black neon so it can hopefully thrive somewhere else.

If either of those options where done you could properly stock the 10 gallon with a more suitable fish that’ll be happy long term in that tank.

Fishy McGee

I have a ten gallon that’s empty and your suggestions would be beneficial. Please don’t take me for ignorant or arguementative, or possibly rude. The goal of this forum is for me to both learn and help, and you are helping me learn. I was wanting to stick it with guppies, spider wood, anubias, java moss, and guppy grass

Platylover thoughts?

Platylover

Fishy McGee said:
I have a ten gallon that’s empty and your suggestions would be beneficial. Please don’t take me for ignorant or arguementative, or possibly rude. The goal of this forum is for me to both learn and help, and you are helping me learn. I was wanting to stick it with guppies, spider wood, anubias, java moss, and guppy grass
I don’t take you as any of that!(I really hope you don’t take me as that either!) I honestly really appreciate how you discuss your opinions and such with me, that’s really uncommon on forums unfortunately.

I think the tank you are thinking of doing with be quite a lovely one. I also have some spiderwood and love it, it looks very nice in the smaller tanks particularly. For the guppies I’d stick to all males with a max of 5(since females are the rabbits of the aquarium). The guppies will likely love to swim around in the plants(I find that the more plants you have, generally the more natural of a behaviour the fish have).

If you want more ideas/advice I’d suggest making a thread so that we don’t clog up this one, you can mention me there so I see it if you’d like.

DuaneV

Ive been keeping Black Neons for a long time. Everyone says they need a "big" tank and a 10 gallon is too small, but honestly, they really don't swim around all that much. They group together and hover in the same area most of the time. Ive kept groups of 7 in heavily planted 10 gallon tanks a few times with no issues. If you already have 1, Id say go get another 5. If theyre smallish, young fish, adding 5 to a cycled tank at once is fine. Id also add them right into the main tank if it only has a single fish. You can really quarantine much in a 5 gallon.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom