How Many Shrimp?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by myerlemons, Jul 29, 2017.

1. myerlemons

myerlemonsValued MemberMember

I'm currently cycling a 5g tank, which I intend to put a single betta (male or female- I'll see who catches my eye when it's time :)). I also plan to add shrimp. I know that RCS are very popular due to their pretty color, but their small size makes me fear that they will be eaten by the betta. I was leaning more towards Amano shrimp, as they are good cleaners. I've decided against Ghost Shrimp, as I've heard that pet stores often sell aggressive freshwater prawns or other inverts as ghost shrimp.
    I was wondering how many RCS would be good (If I chose them) or how many Amano Shrimp would be good (if I chose them). I know that shrimp have a small bioload, but it's a 5g vertical and I want to stock safely.

2. goplecos

goplecosWell Known MemberMember

3. Kenny777

Kenny777Well Known MemberMember

you could add a Nerite snail with the shrimp, with number wise for the shrimp 10 Amanos or Red Cherries would be good

4. Kellye8498

Kellye8498Well Known MemberMember

It is highly likely that a betta will eat RCS. It's actually around 100% going to happen. Not the adults but definitely the babies. I would stick to Amano or ghost shrimp.

5. goplecos

Yes, but this depends on the Betta.

6. Kellye8498

No, not really. Bettas love live food and are opportunistic feeders. They will eat the babies. What depends on the betta is if they harass the adults to death and eat them as well or not unfortunately. Bettas and RCS don't mix well.

7. goplecos

I had a successful breeding colony of RCS with a Betta. I will admit that this is very unusual but it happens.

8. OP
    OP
    myerlemons

Would it be best to add the shrimp to the tank before adding the betta so that it won't be territorial?

9. goplecos

No. You have another thread and you said you wanted to have Shrimp in a 10 gallon. Hold up the Betta to those shrimp and if he doesn't flare at them if he doesn't then add Shrimp to the 5 gallon.

10. OP
    OP
    myerlemons

The 10g hasn't even arrived yet, and I'm currently partway into cycling this one. I don't think that'll be possible.

11. goplecos

Well then put the betta in first and if he goes after the shrimp put the Shrimp in the 10.

12. OP
    OP
    myerlemons

Ok that makes sense. Thanks!

13. Kellye8498

You can't add shrimp to an uncycled tank anyway. They are very sensitive to water issues. I just feel like having a betta eat RCS is a very expensive experiment. My betta didn't flare at RCS in their bag while I was acclimating them via the drip method but he sure did pick them off lol. You can, of course, add what you want. It is your tank...but just remember that an expensive snack without warning is a possibility and has happened to others, me included. Do lots of research before you add them and make sure your tank is completely cycled for awhile.

14. OP
    OP
    myerlemons

Yeah I plan to buy Amano shrimp anyway because there's less chance that the betta will eat them.

15. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I would do about 4 amanos. 15 is way too many, these guys get to 2" long.

16. OP
    OP
    myerlemons

Yeah. Especially considering the tank has a very small amount of bottom space.

17. Kellye8498

You know you're required to show us a pic when you add the shrimp right?! ;)

18. OP
    OP
    myerlemons

Of course

19. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I agree, do like 4-5 amano shrimp, 15 is too many. Mine are huge.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice