How Many Shrimp?

1. Simon711 Initiate Member

Hello All! So I just added two shrimp to my 3.5 gallon filtered, cycled, heated aquarium that has 1 male betta fish in it. The shrimp are Ghost shrimp. One is a larger female and the other I believe is a male. When I put the shrimp in, I took my betta out so they could get acclimated and I did a drip acclimation. After they were settled in I added him in. To my surprise he didn't even show the slightest amount of aggression towards them. Not even a flair. He just seemed curious. He would sometimes swim up and the shrimp would get kinda scared and run away. But they have been in there for about a day now and everything is still all good! Now my question is, How many shrimp can I have total in a tank of this size? I know their bioload is quite small and I am looking to maybe get some Dream Blue Velvet Shrimp and those are usually sold in groups of 5, So would it be okay to have 7 Shrimp in a tank this size with a betta? Thank you in advance.

2. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

The guideline is 10 shrimp per gallon, and I know some people go over that. However be warned that sometimes ghost shrimp have carnivorous tendencies and may prey on baby blue velvets.

3. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I would do about 3-4 ghosts and 5-15 blue velvets. Be careful mixing ghosts and blue velvets as the ghosts are a bit more aggressive. They'll probably be fine just be aware of that.

4. ChiefBrody Member Member

Absolutely. And remember there are ways to grow your bb media to accommodate any bio-load. Whether or not it's ethical is really the question but in this case I think it's a resounding yes! I've never had a nano tank but I know it's a sensitive situation. I think more shrimp is perfect in this case where more FISH might be pushing it. Your betta will look great against blue dream accents for sure!

5. Simon711 Initiate Member

Okay so if I try to get some bigger blue velvets will the ghosts be less likely to eat them?

Thats what I was thinking! Especially since my betta is blue!

6. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

They won't necessarily eat them, but they might bully them.

7. Simon711 Initiate Member

Okay, So is there another type of shrimp that is blue in color that would go good in this tank that the ghosts wouldnt bully

8. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I would be surprised if a ghost ate a blue velvet unless it was very small. I meant bully them or take any shrimp pellets you put in

Sometimes you can get slightly pale blue amano shrimp but you would have to have less of them because they are much bigger than blue velvets

9. Paulsz Member Member

Watch out for shrimps nipping the fins of your betta. Probably won't happen, but I had bought ghost shrimp that turned out to be whisker shrimps (much more aggressive) and they nipped at my cories. The LFS had them listed as ghost but they turned out to be whiskers (they look similar).

I highly doubt it will happen to you since you have had them now together and haven't seen any problems, but just giving you a heads up for the future!

10. ChiefBrody Member Member

I've seen footage of amanos chasing after ottos too. They can be nasty

11. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

That's probably whisker shrimp, amanos are completely peaceful

12. ChiefBrody Member Member

Whiskers are native to u.k. no?

13. barandemir09 Member Member

Would amanos eat cherry shrimp

14. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

No, amanos would not eat cherry shrimp

15. ChiefBrody Member Member

Would bambo shrimp eat other shrimp or small fish?

16. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

No, they are filter feeders