5 Gallon Tank How many shrimp would be a healthy amount

TheBasementNerd

Reaction score
Just finished scraping the algae off the front glass last night so it still looks messy, I'm wondering how many shrimp I should ideally get for this tank. Looking to get either red or yellows, but wanted to figure how many I should probably max out at for a healthy tank. Just being a 5 gal planted, going to add a carpeting foreground soon (monte cristo, dwarf hairgrass, etc)
JPEG_20200524_124149.jpg

Leviathon

Reaction score
I suggest getting 10 red cherry shrimp. They breed fast and don't need much room at all. They'll eat your algae but if you see that the algae is starting to dwindle and not spreading like normal you should start feeding them with normal dwarf shrimp food.

Jdk246

Reaction score
yup, 10 sounds good to me. what filtration are you using? just make sure to keep waters clean as they are very sensitive in my experience

Jdk246

Reaction score
The co2 is important if you want your plants to flourish. As long as he remembers to turn it off every night when light is out everyrhing should work out fine. The algae growing all over the tank is most likely because the tank is not fully cycled yet and the water is unstable. Seems fine to me.

OP
T

TheBasementNerd

Reaction score
I wish the forums would default to email messages so I knew I got replies

Jdk246 said:
yup, 10 sounds good to me. what filtration are you using? just make sure to keep waters clean as they are very sensitive in my experience
Its a fluval spec V, so built in filtration. The water stays clean, I've had only 2 shrimp die of 5 over the past 5 months, and they died early on or when I did something big in changes

Jack B Nimble said:
Id lose the co2 and it does not seem to be working anyway, also whats keeping that tank cycled ?
The CO2 is literally a day old, its not doing anything yet. The tank had a few fish that I transferred to my 10 gal a few days ago, I did forget to provide supplemental ammonia however, I'll do that. There's currently a nerite so he's doing a little bit

Jdk246 said:
The co2 is important if you want your plants to flourish. As long as he remembers to turn it off every night when light is out everyrhing should work out fine. The algae growing all over the tank is most likely because the tank is not fully cycled yet and the water is unstable. Seems fine to me.
The tank is months old and fully cycled, I had taken out my fast growing plants and left just anubias in the tank when some very long stranded cyano started attaching to my tall plants, I didn't realize it'd cause the algae to overtake the nutritions

New Threads