How many Shrimp to Start a Colony in a 20g hex?

  • Thread starter LoverofBettas
  • Start date
  • Thread starter
  • #1

LoverofBettas

Active Member
Member
Messages
218
I have fallen in love with the idea of shrimp, specifically Red Rilis. How many should I add to my 20 gallon hex to start? This aquarium currently has one (will be five in the future) honey gourami and three platies.
 
  • #2

flyinGourami

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,795
You technically don't need a lot, 2 females and a male will work as long as there are babies and they survive. However, I would go with 5-10, since you want to make sure there are males and females and enough survive.
 
  • #3

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
8,127
You'll be hard pressed to get a colony going with fish in the tank, adults may be ok but they will eat young,
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4

LoverofBettas

Active Member
Member
Messages
218
So, five is good, ten is better?
 
  • #5

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,444
Stocking for shrimp is about 10 per gallon, but I'm sure you could do more without trouble in larger tanks. To start I'd try 10 or so. If you want to keep the rili pattern nice, culling/selling will probably be necessary.
I'd be a little wary of the fish. Every fish loves shrimp. Even if adults don't fit in their mouths, babies will. Maximum breeding will happen in shrimp only tanks. Make sure they have plant of rocks, wood, plants, moss, etc to hide in!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

LoverofBettas

Active Member
Member
Messages
218
richie.p said:
You'll be hard pressed to get a colony going with fish in the tank, adults may be ok but they will eat young,
That is a good point... would plenty of plants and hiding places make it better? I’ve got one thin piece of cholla wood where the babies could hide.
 
  • #7

flyinGourami

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,795
Like someone mentioned, make sure to have lots of hiding spaces. The gouramis and platys will eat the babies, so I would make sure to provide a good amount of moss, as well as other fluffy plants.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

LoverofBettas

Active Member
Member
Messages
218
bgntoc said:
Like someone mentioned, make sure to have lots of hiding spaces. The gouramis and platys will eat the babies, so I would make sure to provide a good amount of moss, as well as other fluffy plants.
Do I need to feed the shrimp and their babies something special?
 
  • #9

flyinGourami

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,795
LoverofBettas said:
Do I need to feed the shrimp and their babies something special?
Nothing really special, make sure there is bio film for them. I think they will do fine on a basic, shrimp food or even fish food, but feeding them a dedicated diet like bacter ae will really help if you want to buil up a colony.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10

LoverofBettas

Active Member
Member
Messages
218
bgntoc said:
Nothing really special, make sure there is bio film for them. I think they will do fine on a basic, shrimp food or even fish food, but feeding them a dedicated diet like bacter ae will really help if you want to buil up a colony.
The biofilm grows on plants, right?
 
  • #11

erinw347

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,253
LoverofBettas said:
Do I need to feed the shrimp and their babies something special?
There are lots of shrimp formulas out there. Shrimp diet is very similar to snails: Vegetarians, lots of calcium, and the occasional feeding of protein. Blanched veggies are a good choice, as well as plant based sinking wafers
 
  • #12

flyinGourami

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,795
LoverofBettas said:
The biofilm grows on plants, right?
Yes, it grows on the surfaces in your tank.
 
  • #13

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
8,127
LoverofBettas said:
That is a good point... would plenty of plants and hiding places make it better? I’ve got one thin piece of cholla wood where the babies could hide.
If your going down this road then I'd only start ½doz with a small amount if they get eaten it's only half the cost,and yes plants are good for hiding or anything they can get safety.when you introduce them try and isolate your fish this will stop a sudden attach and allow your shrimp time to find safety then release your fish,
 
  • #14

JettsPapa

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,315
Rock piles, sized so that the spaces between the rocks are large enough for the shrimp to get inside but too small for the fish, is also a good idea with shrimp. However, I know from personal experience that you'll see far fewer shrimp if there are fish in the tank with them.
 
  • #15

flyinGourami

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,795
JettsPapa said:
Rock piles, sized so that the spaces between the rocks are large enough for the shrimp to get inside but too small for the fish, is also a good idea with shrimp. However, I know from personal experience that you'll see far fewer shrimp if there are fish in the tank with them.
Good idea! Will some shrimp get crushed though?
 
  • #16

JettsPapa

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,315
bgntoc said:
Good idea! Will some shrimp get crushed though?
Do you mean when you're placing the rocks? Is yes, not if you're careful. Place them individually; don't just dump a bunch of rocks in the tank.
 
  • #17

flyinGourami

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,795
JettsPapa said:
Do you mean when you're placing the rocks? Is yes, not if you're careful. Place them individually; don't just dump a bunch of rocks in the tank.
No, if one just randomly gets moved and it collapses or something.
 
  • #18

JettsPapa

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,315
bgntoc said:
No, if one just randomly gets moved and it collapses or something.
I'd say it's possible but unlikely.
 
Top Bottom