How many shrimp pellets? Question

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by crashEHC, Mar 15, 2010.

1. crashEHC

crashEHCValued MemberMember

How many shrimp pellets should I drop into the tank to feed my featherfin catfish? It's about 6" long now. I feed it once at night since it essentially hides during the day. :;nin2

It won't eat until I turn off the lights, so I can't go by the 2 min rule. I know fish stomachs are small, but I'm no good at guessing. :;dk So, 2 pellets? 5? 10?

Anyone's guidance is appreciated. Also, same question for when I switch to algae wafers twice a week. 1? 3?

2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello CrashEHC,

You may be aware of this by now, but your Silver Dollars (herbivores) are going to find the Algae Wafer a very tasty treat too. :) Do you spot feed the catfish or just drop the wafer into the tank?

I would think 3 or 4 shrimp pellets or 1 wafer would be fine.
    Ken

3. OP
    OP
    crashEHC

crashEHCValued MemberMember

I just drop it in the tank.

Yeah, I don't think the SD's are eating any of the flake food I drop in anymore. I haven't seen them eat in weeks except for an occasional flake on the ground. Is there a way to make sure the SD's eat the freeze dried bloodworms and flake food so the catfish can get the algae wafers and shrimp pellets? Do I drop multiple types of food at the same time?

Thanks,

4. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Morning Crash,

Try feeding your Silver Dollars a leaf of Romaine Lettuce. They love it! (not iceberg lettuce) It may take a time or two before they realize it's food. I try to feed all of my fish on one side of the tank and then drop my wafers in for my Pleco on the opposite end. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I give my Pleco slices of zucchini so I know that he eats and he loves it.
    You may have to spot feed the cat fish by placing the wafer or pellets directly in front him instead of dropping them in.
    Best of luck and keep us posted.
    Ken

5. LyndaB

LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

I've always gone by the rule that a fish's stomach is about the size of its eye. That method keeps my fish happy and healthy. :)

I'm sure this theory doesn't hold true for Jaws however, as he was known to easily digest an entire arm, license plate and the brake assembly from a Prius without needing Mylanta. :cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice