Question How Many Shrimp For 30l Tank

Hydrosolic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello!
I currently have 2 ottos and 4 amano shrimps (yamoto) to battle my algae problem in my 30L aquarium.

However, I should’ve done more research on ottos as I later found out that they don’t touch the main and only algae I have, brown hair/thread algae which is a huge problem right now as they are covering the carpeting plants and preventing them from photosynthesising and growing.

The algae was caused from going away for 6 days and forgetting to turn on co2.

Anyways, the question is how many more amano shrimp can I keep in this 30L aquarium, with already 2 ottos and 4 amanos? I am planning to not have any more fish and dedicate the tank to the amanos and 2 ottos only. Is 8 more amanos ok? Or is it simply too much bioload for the 30L tank?

PS. The tank is fairly new, 3 weeks old, and I have done everything to get rid of the algae from manually removing the hair algae every morning, changing 50% water every 2-3 days, lowering light intensity by half, limiting light hours to 7 and a half hours, using a twinstar, using UV 24/7, bumping up
Co2 a little, limiting ferts to half the dose and recently started using shrimp/fish/plant friendly anti hair algae chemicals.

Also it’s impossible to removing waste from the bottom of the aquarium as a vacuum would simply uproot all the carpeting plants.

Thank you in advance for the help

appcontrol

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
8 should be fine. But try to remove waste from bottom as much as you can, disturb it with hand and then siphon it or something like that.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom