How many shrimp are suitable for a 10 gallon?

Fidgetings

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think it strongly depends on the shrimp! Typically one to two ghost shrimp per gallon in a standard tank is a safe bet. If you have a very densely planted tank you can certainly fit more than that; on the other hand, if you have a lot of open floorspace, you may want to decrease that number. Please be aware that ghosties are difficult to keep alive for more than a few months in the home aquarium. If you can get amanos or cherries, I definitely would.

Also, unlike ghosties, amanos and cherries are friendly with one another and don't mind sharing turf, so you could keep a lot more than you could with ghostie.

I daresay you could keep around 7 per gallon when it comes to cherries/amanos. Maybe a safer way to determine how many shrimp you can have is maybe... one per two square inches of space available? Depending on how large the available plants are, you could definitely have more.

Honestly, eyeballing a good number of shrimp isn't too difficult. I would only get concerned about space if you were trying to have a feeder population, in which case that is a whole different beast.

So long as your tank doesn't look like this, I think you're okay

DrowningInGuppies

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Fidgetings said:
I think it strongly depends on the shrimp! Typically one to two ghost shrimp per gallon in a standard tank is a safe bet. If you have a very densely planted tank you can certainly fit more than that; on the other hand, if you have a lot of open floorspace, you may want to decrease that number. Please be aware that ghosties are difficult to keep alive for more than a few months in the home aquarium. If you can get amanos or cherries, I definitely would.

Also, unlike ghosties, amanos and cherries are friendly with one another and don't mind sharing turf, so you could keep a lot more than you could with ghostie.

I daresay you could keep around 7 per gallon when it comes to cherries/amanos. Maybe a safer way to determine how many shrimp you can have is maybe... one per two square inches of space available? Depending on how large the available plants are, you could definitely have more.

Honestly, eyeballing a good number of shrimp isn't too difficult. I would only get concerned about space if you were trying to have a feeder population, in which case that is a whole different beast.

So long as your tank doesn't look like this, I think you're okay

I agree. Btw... I have a 3 year old ghost shrimp. Is that uncommon? Lol.

Fidgetings

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DrowningInGuppies said:
I agree. Btw... I have a 3 year old ghost shrimp. Is that uncommon? Lol.
Wow ! That's a very long time, haha. A strong old pal,, How lucky

New Threads