How Many Severums in a Community Tank

natalia1468

Hi! I have a 125-gallon aquarium that I've had for a while now. It was 1 rope fish, 2 young Delhezi bichirs, a blue gurami, 1 giant danio, 1 dojo loach, and 1 5inch black ghost knife fish (will be upgraded once older). Most of them hide all day and I rarely see them (my tank has caves, decorations, and live plants.) I was thinking of adding some more large fish that would pop and be out more often. I was thinking about:

Roseline sharks
Bala sharks
red tinfoil barbs
electric blue acara
Cyrtocara Moorii
Geophagus sveni
Blue peacock cichlid
Geophagus Tapajos ‘Red’
Red Jacobfreibergi Peacock Cichlid
Uaru Cichlid Fish
fire eel
lima shovelnose
Synodontis Petricola
clown squeaker
Pictus Catfish

Would any of these tank mates work? Of course, I know I can't keep all of them (not even close) but it's just a list of ones I may have available and ones I like. If any of these are terrible combinations I'd be glad to know. Also If there are any suggestions of groups/school sizes, Specifically the uaru and severums. Thank you!

also, can I keep 3 bala sharks, 3 tin foil barbs, and a group of roseline sharks together? Thank you!

MoshJosh

I would get more giant danios personally. . .

natalia1468

Yes, I started out with a small group but they were constantly bulling each other (they were in a 30g at the time) and the others ended up jumping out:(. The one I have now in the 125g is doing great and loves to speed around the aquarium. So I don't know if I should get more just because he's not THAT big and I'm afraid that if I get bigger fish he might have to be moved to my 55g which seems like it might be a bit small for him, but I don't know, what do you think?

Noroomforshoe

I think that the danio would be happier with 8+ more danios. I think it would be ok to add them. there may be some initially butting of heads, but there is a good chance it would work. It's up to you what you want to do. I was in a smaller situation years ago with regular danios, and I Kept one solo for the remainder of his life. The 55 gallon is probably fine.

The dojo loach should have some buddies.

I suggest that you consider rehoming some of the larger bottom feeders. I would add more dojos, but no other bottom feeders. especiallly since you said that you wanted to see fish that were active during the day. Electric blue acara are great, maybe consider some rainbow fish too.

natalia1468

Okay, that sounds reasonable, I think I'll get some more dojos to keep him company (he is one of the most outgoing fish in that tank, always comes out when I'm around and goes crazy over food). Thank you for the suggestions. I'll see what I can do about the danio, I think I'll just try to rehome him to someone who has more because I really am not looking to get more again. Thanks!

MacZ

I made some marks
Roseline sharks Tanksize too small (dimensions/length)
Bala sharks Tanksize too small (longterm, grow too big)
red tinfoil barbs Tanksize too small (longterm, grow too big)
electric blue acara
Cyrtocara Moorii Malawi cichlids are not community fish.
Geophagus sveni (keep a group!)
Blue peacock cichlid Malawi cichlids are not community fish.
Geophagus Tapajos ‘Red’ (keep a group!)
Red Jacobfreibergi Peacock Cichlid Malawi cichlids are not community fish.
Uaru Cichlid Fish Tanksize too small (longterm, grow too big)
fire eel Too Predatory
lima shovelnose Too Predatory
Synodontis Petricola Not community fish
clown squeaker Not community fish
Pictus Catfish (keep a group!)
I would also stock up the danios and loaches, rehome the gourami and the bichirs and add a group of rainbowfish.

natalia1468

I was actually hoping to have a bit of a more "exotic" stocking. Bichirs, large cichlids, and maybe even a Florida gar (although I'd have to upgrade the tank in the future and he probably wouldn't be compatible with the others so probably not. :( Do you think uaru will go with the ones you bolded?

TClare

I was actually hoping to have a bit of a more "exotic" stocking. Bichirs, large cichlids, and maybe even a Florida gar (although I'd have to upgrade the tank in the future and he probably wouldn't be compatible with the others so probably not. :( Do you think uaru will go with the ones you bolded?
I think as far as temperament and requirements go an uaru would be fine with the other fish MacZ has marked in bold, but they do get very big, over 30cm (12") long and they are of course very deep bodied as well. From what I have read they would probably get to about 15cm in a year and after that the growth rate slows down considerably. But eventually it will be too big. Also if you want plants don't get an Uaru! (lovely fish though).

natalia1468

Okay, that's great info, thank you so much.:):):) What sized aquarium do you think they (Uaru) would need if I had a group of three as adults?

TClare

I am honestly not sure, the length of you tank may be Ok if it is 72", but I would think the height and depth should be at least 60cm (24"), considering the size of the adult fish. It depends what else you keep with them as well.

natalia1468

Alright, do you think a 210g+ would be okay?

TClare

Alright, do you think a 210g+ would be okay?
Yes, it should be, what are the dimensions?

natalia1468

92" wide* 28" tall*18"deep

TClare

92" wide* 28" tall*18"deep
Ideally I would have preferred it deeper, and perhaps not so high, but as it is very long I am sure it would be fine.

Noroomforshoe

Exotic fish are great! But don't overlook the more common beauties. In my opinion, rainbow fish are simply amazing and Never disappointing. I watched some plainish smallish Australian rainbows, = the least expensive rainbows I have ever kept,= Turn into magnificent and surprising large gorgeous fish. Each one a little different than the rest.

natalia1468

I do like the idea of rainbow fish but at the same time, I have always wanted larger slower-moving fish, with rainbows and other schooling fish I've noticed they usually swim around a lot. If you know of slow-moving fish (kind of like angels or gouramies but larger (not too big) I'd love to hear some suggestions. :)

MacZ

I agree with TClare that Uaru would need a bigger tank.
The bolded fish are all that would work in the tank size you gave in your first post.

natalia1468

Okay that's what I'll do then, thank you for all the advice

GlennO

I do like the idea of rainbow fish but at the same time, I have always wanted larger slower-moving fish, with rainbows and other schooling fish I've noticed they usually swim around a lot. If you know of slow-moving fish (kind of like angels or gouramies but larger (not too big) I'd love to hear some suggestions. :)
Scrub the Pictus then. Probably even more active than Rainbowfish.

TClare

Although a 200 gallon tank with uaru would be very nice, assuming you have room for it, you would have to think very carefully about the costs (not just setting up but electricity etc.) and the amount of maintenance required. This could quickly become a headache I think, especially with such a tall tank. The Geophagus are lovely cichlids too and would work well in your original tank size.

natalia1468

Sorry for the confusion, I meant that I think I'm going to stick with my current 125g and just try and get an electric blue acara, 3 Geophagus sveni, 3 Geophagus Tapajos ‘Red’, and add some giant danios, and maybe 2 more dojo loaches. Does that sound okay?

TClare

Sorry for the confusion, I meant that I think I'm going to stick with my current 125g and just try and get an electric blue acara, 3 Geophagus sveni, 3 Geophagus Tapajos ‘Red’, and add some giant danios, and maybe 2 more dojo loaches. Does that sound okay?
Yes, I did think that is what you meant. It sounds good, although I would have gone for a larger group of just one of the Geophagus species rather than 3 of each, I don’t think it would be a problem to have both species though.

natalia1468

Great, thank you. I might not be able to find both at my LFS so whichever one they have I'll get (they had both a while ago but I doubt they still do). Thanks for everything!
I have a fine black gravel/sand-ish substrate

MacZ

I knew it... That's not what I meant when I said the species marked in bold would work. Not all of them. I only meant those would be compatible with the stocking, not that you could add all of them. One Geophagus species in a group of 4-5 would be appropriate in my opinion.

I don’t think it would be a problem to have both species though.
If it wasn't for the ropefish, bichirs and loaches. Quite some density in the lower reaches of the tank already.

natalia1468

Hm, ya. I mean the ropefish always hides in a tunnel and the bichirs behind the rock/wood, which sadly means they are pretty much never just out in the open. The only guy I see most commonly out of the bottom dwellers is the dojo. But I do understand what you mean, maybe when they grow bigger (they are about 7" right now) they will be out more. I'll just get 3 Geophagus sveni then. Thanks

MacZ

I bet they are out at night. ;) And you are right, depending on the lighting nd other factors they will come out more often when they have grown more.

Can we have a look at the tank?

TClare

If it wasn't for the ropefish, bichirs and loaches. Quite some density in the lower reaches of the tank already.
Yes, very true I think I was fixated on the cichlids...

I sort of have a feeling that 3 might not be the best number for Geophagus, in case one gets bullied, 4 might be better? I am not sure though as I have not kept them personally.

Yes, it would be good to see a picture of the tank.

MacZ

I sort of have a feeling that 3 might not be the best number for Geophagus, in case one gets bullied, 4 might be better? I am not sure though as I have not kept them personally.
That's why I wrote 4-5 specimens.

TClare

Y
That's why I wrote 4-5 specimens.
Yes, I saw you had written that but the OP then said three. Both of those species are among the smaller Geos so it should be OK I think.

GlennO

Adding a severum (perhaps a gold one) and an EBA would give you a couple of largish, slow moving and highly visible fish. A group of Geo's might be more interesting behaviourally.

natalia1468

Thank you for the input!:)

GatlingGun

I think it would be cool to do an Uaru-only tank and maybe some bottom dwellers; not necessary but just cool.

natalia1468

That sounds really cool I do have to admit, although others on this forum have told me a 125g is too small for them, so I think I have to stick with the smaller species. I mean it is what it is, I don't want to hurt the fish. That's an awesome idea for the future if I ever get a bigger tank...:)

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
DirtyWater
Replies
Views
JLK1024
Replies