How many Red Jewel Cichlids?

1. jcmguy

jcmguy Valued Member Member

I have a found a guy in my area who is selling red jewel cichlids for 50 cents a piece. So I want a pair for my 29 gallon tank. I have fairly hard water with an 8.2 pH and was told they do fine in this water. Should I buy an RO unit to get the pH and hardness down to 7 and 0 or just try it out.. they are only 50 cents.. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

The tank I'm using for them is already cycled but im wondering what kind of rock setup I should have also, if I should have one and what plants (low light)?

2. delta5

delta5 Well Known Member Member

First thing is to find out their current water parameters. Since it is local chances are they are in very similar water to yours.

3. C

Ctammy2 Valued Member Member

I used to keep jewels years ago. Mine adapted fine. At the time my water was around 7.6-8.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    jcmguy

Okay. Will do. And then will let you guys know for more advice. Thanks. And about the plants and decor? Let me know.

5. TheCoolFish

TheCoolFish Valued Member Member

Your tank is too small unless you do a TON of hiding spaces (lots of rock caves)

6. OP
    OP
    jcmguy

Ive read that a single breeding pair of Jewels does fine in a 30 gallon.. is this incorrect based on your experience?

7. C

I am far from an expert, but can tell you how mine fared... I started out with a group of 6 juveniles in a 25g tank. The very first day while at work, I lost 2, due to suicide. Jumped through a toonie sized hole in the hood and ended up as fish crackers.
    :(
    The other 4 never did pair up. However, they never got territorial either. They just seemed to "hang out" together. At year 6, my tank sprang a leak over night. I woke up to dried out/tacky dead fish. :( But not all... :) I was so upset that my fish were dead, I asked my husband to dispose of them. When he picked them up, he thought he felt one flutter! So started trying to revive them. He saved two!! Of the 2 remaining, 1 lived one more year, and the final one passed at the grand age of 9.

So sorry about the long winded story, but I loved my jewels! Incredibly tough fish!! :D

8. C

Please though keep in mind regarding my experience...

At first, when I got those fish, there was no internet!! <gasp> All I had was a couple of fish books and the lfs who's people didn't know any more than I did! So keep that in mind when considering any info from me. ;)

9. TheCoolFish

TheCoolFish Valued Member Member

Yah for a tank that size I wouldn't go over 3 of them

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. OP
    OP
    jcmguy

So after they pair should I leave one in of the 6 I start with as a dither?

11. C

Captain Jim New Member Member

It would be unusual for a spawning pair to tolerate the third jewel at all. You should plan on just the pair in a thirty gallon tank. They may need to go to bigger tank in a couple years.(or less)
    [​IMG]