How Many Red Cherry Shrimp In 29g Tank?

1. d

draven03 New Member Member

I've made a couple forums and have changed my mind so often about the fish I want to stock it with. I have a 29g fish tank (currently housing a very happy betta), that I want to turn into a planted tank just for red cherry shrimp.

How many red cherry shimp could I have in there without crowding the tank. I know they are small, but I don't how many I could put in my tank.

2. j

jenag145 Valued Member Member

Usually one cherry shrimp can do a minimum of 10gal. So I would say maybe 3. Someone might correct me on that.

3. Yves

Yves Valued Member Member

A lot, shrimp have very little bio load, watching Flip Aquatic on YouTube he uses 20 Gallon Longs as breeder tanks and there is 100's of shrimp in those tanks.

4. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Up to about 250 should be fine with plants

5. Jayd976

Jayd976 Well Known Member Member

You can get 300-400. I had about 200 in a 20gal. Their bioload is very minimal and they breed like crazy. You'll need to start eventually buying some from another source or trade a dozen or so with someone else as eventually they will begin inbreeding and you'll get smaller less colorful shrimp.

6. L

Landos Well Known Member Member

I'm curious about this as well. If I have like 500 in my 30gal, should I start taking them out and putting them in my other tanks? How do you control the population?

7. Yves

Yves Valued Member Member

If you started with a dozen or so and you actually get to 500 start selling them off, or if you have a good relationship with your LFS, you might get some trade in credits. Local Fish club would be a good place to sell them also if you have one. However way before you get to those number find a friend that is also breeding shrimp and trade shrimps, you need to inject some new DNA if you want a healthy population.

8. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd start with 20, then let them breed. They'll stop when they feel the tank is full, which may be never if you have fish in there which may help to keep the population down.