how many pygmy corys does it take to school?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by fishaddiction, Dec 15, 2012.

1. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

I purchased today 3 pygmy corys and after I put them in 2 started swimming together and the other left them I think he is a moron because he swam up to my cichlid and then was chased away to do it again and again but when will he come to his senses and school with others I have a twenty tall and its full on gallons so I'm hoping its not a number of corys thing.

2. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

Cories like to be in schools of at least 6 so he might need some companions to make him feel more like part of the bunch.

3. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

I have 12 pygmy cories and they are true schoolers....mine will always swim together. I would definitely increase your school.

4. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

I have six Pygmys. One of them sometimes chooses to school with the 8 Neon Tetras. My Pygmys are pretty independent when they are relaxed. I just now moved them into a 29 gal tank, so currently they are staying real tight. I may get a couple more now that they have more room.

5. OP
    OP
    fishaddiction

How many more should I get 2?

6. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

I'd get at least 3 more and 5 would be better. The more the merrier with cories :).

7. OP
    OP
    fishaddiction

Once again I'm probably over the limit on gallons is it better to school with odds or evens?

8. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

I say evens personally... that way they each always have a buddie... I only had 3 albinos before getting 3 more now i always see them in groups of 2 when they are relaxed and hunting :)

9. OP
    OP
    fishaddiction

Thanks I will try to get 3 more tomorrow even though today my ride said "were not going tomorrow " wish me luck to change her mind. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice