How Many Plecos In 75g Tank

1. Alphafish98

Alphafish98 Valued Member Member

hello, can someone tell how many plecos I can keep in a 75 gallon tank. I’m thinking of putting my clown pleco in it and later getting a bristle nose pleco too, is there anymore I can put or is that it? And also will I need to get another piece of driftwood as well, I only have one in the 75g.

2. Little fry babies

Little fry babies Valued Member Member

It depends on the size and species of the pleco but ive read forums on that and was told to not keep more than one in a tank .Idk whether that is true or not as i am new to being into this hobby. Others may be more of help on this topic .

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

With enough driftwood and caves, you should be fine keeping a BN pleco and a clown pleco together in your tank. I'd feed them in separate areas though, so they're not competing for food.

What else is in the tank?

4. OP
    OP
    Alphafish98

It’s a family tank we’re gonna put angelfish, neon tetras and yes I know that’s a bad idea my family wants to put them anyway, we’re also getting Cory catfish some snails, few mollies and a swordtail maybe fan shrimp. And I know some may not be good but I wanna test it.

5. Little fry babies

Honestly that's a fine assortment of fish .I have juli cories, one gold dust molly, three albino glow light tetras, two mockey mouse platies, a swordtail and a one blue mickey mouse platy. In my 65 gallon i am going to have angels, yoyo loach, clown loach, black ghost knife fish(maybe) maybe not since they are aggressive towards certain fish, and i wanted redtail and rainbow sharks .But if i get a black ghost knife most likely shouldn't get sharks .Lol .Anyway, i like your assortment of fish .Good tankmates. I see nothing wrong with it.

6. OP
    OP
    Alphafish98

Why thank you, I’ve been doing endless research daily on so many types of fish and what goes with what how to care for them etc etc and Im glad this is a good group, I wanna get the angels when they’re small so they’ll be less aggressive and see the other fish as tankmates instead of food, I really really want to put vampire and bamboo shrimp so hopefully it should work I have a lot of hide outs and I want to put a lot of plants too so that should help. And would I need to get another driftwood piece for the BN pleco too?

7. Little fry babies

You are welcome. :) its good to do research on everything for your desired tank but when it comes to fish, it really depends on the individual fish. For example, Female bettas are supposed to be better vommunity fish than males but when i purchased more fosh to add to my tank my female would stock my platies and tetras and she woyld kill them. For a few days I was wondering why my other fish kept dying and checked the water , the filteration etc and the next day witnessed her kill a tetra. So i had to remove her from the tank .so it really depends on the fish personality. She is a bad fish. I think the more driftwood the better :)

8. OP
    OP
    Alphafish98

Thank you, I guess I have to get more driftwood .....

9. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Get cardinal tetras instead of neons that way you have temp compatible fish, and cardinal grow a little larger than neons so are less likely to disappear into the angel's stomach.
    Angels have different personalities so you do not know until they get bigger if they are going to target smaller fish, i have some that are safe with guppies and some that eat them in one bite and grin as they chew.
    If you are having more than one pleco that prefers driftwood having a couple pieces is a good idea, that way you don't have injured plecos arguing over space/hideyholes. A bn would be okay in this setup as long as the temp is not 79 degrees (in fact around 77 is good for the fish involved).
    You might get away with a bigger species of shrimp, but know some fish, like the angel, might still think they look tasty and pick at them until they get bite sized pieces.
    There are no bad fish, you simple followed a generalized statement without thinking of the individual fish that bettas are, i have some that are safe with everything and some that would actively hunt down other fish because it was in their territory, most of my males are calmer than my females, however pretty much any betta that is average will not tolerate other bettas or brightly colored, fast moving fish.
    You will need a bigger tank for your stocking plan as the fish you have listed all need groups or get too large for the tank (65 gals)

10. Little fry babies

Its a bad fish .It killed three of my fish in two days .And I have a 65 gallon, fyi. I also researched my tank mates before adding then into the aquarium .I only had one female betta in the tank .But thanks for being so informative.

11. OP
    OP
    Alphafish98

Would you like to tell me what fish that are and not okay with vampire and bamboo shrimp ?

12. Mcasella

Meaning you didn't account for the bettas personality, it has an territorial response to other fish so it was going to act aggressive and possibly kill the others, you as the owner have the responsibility regardless of tank size to insure the safety of the fish as best as you are able.
    Clown loaches get 10-12 inches and need schools, this is not a fish that will be good for a 65 gallon tank as they are very boisterous and can accidentally or intentionally bully other fish. Yoyos (plural as they need a group), angels, fine fish for a 65. Knife fish are nocturnal, so housing them with more after day time fish may stress them out, they may also try to eat other fish if they are still small enough to fit in their mouth (the good thing is that they are not one of the ones that gets 3-5 foot in size).

Out of the fish you had listed the only one that might give you issue with them is the angel(s). If you get them younger and the shrimp at close to full size they are less likely to turn on them as they age as they are not a "food source" (I would suggest not feeding mysis shrimp as they are relatively shrimp looking and this may cause the angel to connect the dots of shrimp=food).
    I would go with platies/swords over mollies as they don't have as wide a mouth so they aren't going to be investigating a very large shrimp. (There are always outliers that are jerks, but those are points where you rehome rather than worry).

13. Little fry babies

My betta was a jeuvenile when I bought her and had her in a betta bowl before i added her into a community aquarium .So I wasn't quite sure how her personality was going be towards other fish and honestly I get youre a vip cin this forum but i don't like that you are talking down to me. Ask me about ny fish before criticizing me. Thanks.

And also i don't have loaches with my fish nor would i put them with the ones in my current smaller tank . i haven't even bought the loach yet so now you are being plain rude. Re-read my comments before reading me my rights .

14. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

The truth hurts some times.

15. Mcasella

You list your planned stocking plan for a 65 gallon tank and expect no advice for it? Clown loaches get very large and if they are in too small of a tank it is the betta all over again, either because they bump and bruise other fish on accident (bumbling giants pretty much), or they intentionally ram into other fish because of territory, so the yoyos might become targets of the clowns in a smaller tank since they stay smaller than them but have a similar personality (and loaches are all fun, some even cuddle up to you and feed from your hand, i have a couple like that, some are eels, like kuhlis, and others are carrots, like clowns and dojos).
    Bettas can be tested several ways to see what their released personality is like, I have a male I refuse to put with anything and he has a rightfully deserved name; Fury. I have a total of ten bettas and they fall all along the personality spectrum, with some being okay with fast moving fish or even guppies, and a few, like Fury, that I do not trust with other fish, either for their own safety (Shy Boy) or for the fishes safety (Lip).
    My status has nothing to do with my advice as this site is based on how many posts you have achieved for rank.

16. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Let's get back on topic. The OP hasn't asked about a betta.

@Fishcrazed23 if you have questions or concerns about your stock please start your own thread. We wouldn't want to take over Alphafish's thread.

Here is the original post:

17. MommaLake

MommaLake Well Known Member Member

I keep 2 clown plecos, a bristlenose pleco and an orange spot pleco together in a 135 gal with angels. I have big and small pieces of wood around the tank. I never have had any pleco fights. At feeding, they will all come out to eat and never fight. They take what they want and when they’re done they go back to their chosen spots.
    You may have some action when you first introduce them and they are deciding who gets what spot. But as long as you have enough wood/hiding spots then they should work it out and be fine.

18. OP
    OP
    Alphafish98

Well I have a punch of hiding holes and spots they can be in and I’m going to get another driftwood piece and I had my clone pleco for some time now and when I’m tank is done cycling I’ll later get a Bn pleco

19. Little fry babies

@Lucy to be honest i was not seeking advice nor did i want advice from this vip on my stock. I was simply having a peaceful conversation with the op about their stock and gave an example of my future stock with thorough research ive done . my apologies for sticking up fgor myself when I felt i was being belittled and attacked on someone elses forum. I don't think it was necessary to do that and obviously i was wrong for standing up when it obviously wasnt wanted .I apologize to the op and moderators for this unnecessary misunderstanding

20. OP
    OP
    Alphafish98

Your perfectly fine, I’m not bothered by anything just ignore the other person thanks for the info before.