How Many Plecos In 75 gallon Tank

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Definitely go with more driftwood than pleco, and try to have the same type in multiple locations. I have had my two clowns for 10 years now, and they lived with a third until it passed away two years ago. They would often get into little spats over the 'good driftwood' because I only had two pieces of it. (I could not find more.) Once the third died the other two settled down considerably as they no longer had to share! They still play capture the branch, but now they just trade places rather then get huffy.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fishcrazed23 said:
Lucy to be honest i was not seeking advice nor did i want advice from this vip on my stock. I was simply having a peaceful conversation with the op about their stock and gave an example of my future stock with thorough research ive done . my apologies for sticking up fgor myself when I felt i was being belittled and attacked on someone elses forum. I don't think it was necessary to do that and obviously i was wrong for standing up when it obviously wasnt wanted .I apologize to the op and moderators for this unnecessary misunderstanding
It wasn't an attack. It was someone disagreeing with you and giving reasons for why they disagreed. If you like we can discuss this further privately
At any rate, we'll move on and let the OP have their thread back.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know a lot if people have luck with more than 1 pleco in a tank. I think a lot has to do with tank size. I had 2 in a 29 and one killed the other. I believe it was due to space.

Alphafish98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
wodesorel said:
Definitely go with more driftwood than pleco, and try to have the same type in multiple locations. I have had my two clowns for 10 years now, and they lived with a third until it passed away two years ago. They would often get into little spats over the 'good driftwood' because I only had two pieces of it. (I could not find more.) Once the third died the other two settled down considerably as they no longer had to share! They still play capture the branch, but now they just trade places rather then get huffy.
Okay I was thinking of putting my clown pleco in first and on the right side because that’s where I put one piece, so whenever I get the bn pleco I’ll put a new piece of dirt wood put it there and then when I get the fish I release it on that side. Would that be okay thing to do for they won’t fight they’ll be on opposite sides and it’s a 75 gallon tank so it should be fine right ?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Alphafish98 said:
Okay I was thinking of putting my clown pleco in first and on the right side because that’s where I put one piece, so whenever I get the bn pleco I’ll put a new piece of dirt wood put it there and then when I get the fish I release it on that side. Would that be okay thing to do for they won’t fight they’ll be on opposite sides and it’s a 75 gallon tank so it should be fine right ?
Yup that gives them the ability to setup territories for themselves and the distance in a 75 should be enough to keep them happy (specially if you happen to get a female bn which is less likely to get into territory disputes in such a large tank).

Alphafish98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mcasella said:
Yup that gives them the ability to setup territories for themselves and the distance in a 75 should be enough to keep them happy (specially if you happen to get a female bn which is less likely to get into territory disputes in such a large tank).
Do you know what female bn pleco look like?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Alphafish98 said:
Do you know what female bn pleco look like?
Female bristlenose will not develop as obvious bristles, male are the ones that really display the stache. They will be rounder and normally top out at 4 inches with the very rare female getting 6 inches or better (some bristlenose I have seen the males were 7 inches long and looked like they had antlers for bristles they had so many). Males of a lighter color have a bright red spot on the top of their head (you won't see this with darker color males), albinos are out more often so if you are wanting to be able to keep tabs on the bn a lighter colored one will more likely be out on the glass or around the tank. Albinos do not see as well so they do not react as quickly to you staring in on them.

Alphafish98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mcasella said:
Female bristlenose will not develop as obvious bristles, male are the ones that really display the stache. They will be rounder and normally top out at 4 inches with the very rare female getting 6 inches or better (some bristlenose I have seen the males were 7 inches long and looked like they had antlers for bristles they had so many). Males of a lighter color have a bright red spot on the top of their head (you won't see this with darker color males), albinos are out more often so if you are wanting to be able to keep tabs on the bn a lighter colored one will more likely be out on the glass or around the tank. Albinos do not see as well so they do not react as quickly to you staring in on them.
Oh wow that’s pretty cool thanks for that, yea sometimes when I’m looking at my other tank my clown pleco sometimes swims away when I’m come near it’s cute. Idk what gender it is idk if it’s hard to tell with those types of plecos is it it?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Alphafish98 said:
Oh wow that’s pretty cool thanks for that, yea sometimes when I’m looking at my other tank my clown pleco sometimes swims away when I’m come near it’s cute. Idk what gender it is idk if it’s hard to tell with those types of plecos is it it?
Clown plecos are a little harder to tell, but the easiest way is to look at the pectoral fins, the males will have bigger odontels along those fins and more obvious odontels along the tail of the fish. Females are normally broader when viewed from above, however without one of the opposite sex to compare it to this isn't as obvious.

Alphafish98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mcasella said:
Clown plecos are a little harder to tell, but the easiest way is to look at the pectoral fins, the males will have bigger odontels along those fins and more obvious odontels along the tail of the fish. Females are normally broader when viewed from above, however without one of the opposite sex to compare it to this isn't as obvious.
So the male clown plecos territorial and females are less ?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Alphafish98 said:
So the male clown plecos territorial and females are less ?
Towards other plecos, not so much towards other fish. Females are going to be less territorial, but clowns are so shy most of the time they generally don't start anything.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom