How many platys in a 15 gal?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Angela Phelps, Jul 1, 2016.

1. A

Angela Phelps New Member Member

Hello all, I'm cycling my new 15 gal planted and I have a really cute theme in mind involving specific various platy colors. Before I start stocking it up though, I want to know what my limit is. I know the 1 inch per gallon rule is bogus so I won't be putting 15 in there, but I was thinking around at least 8, maybe more if it allows or other different fish that go well together with platys in a 15.
    Again it's planted and it will have lots of hiding spots and a hairgrass carpet once it starts growing.

I can get all of one sex if it's better to do so. However, I have another tank with rams, so I'm not opposed to using babies as a live food source. (sorry if this is not taken as acceptable! :-X )
    Thanks for any and all input!

2. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

I would get all males or all females, if you mix them the breed like crazy and you won't be able to feed all of them to your rams.
    IMO you should only get 5 plattys at the most. They have a higher bio load than some other 2-3" fish. Maybe you could also get 2-4 snails? And some shrimp?

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would get all males - females can become pregnant in the store before you get them and can produce fry for up to a year (even after she has been separated from the males).

I agree that 5 is a good number.

4. OP
    OP
    A

Ok, I think I've been talked into getting 5 platys total. That can actually work for the idea I had in mind.

You mentioned that I can also do shrimp? I thought about doing a few cherry shrimp. Are there any other fish that can can go with the 5 platys or do you think it will be pretty much stocked at that point?

5. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

It would be stocked at that point. You can still do shrimp or a few snails though!:)

6. OP
    OP
    A

I had thought about doing a couple cory cats too, just 2 or 3, but from what I understand they should be kept in larger schools anyway.
    5 platys and a few shrimps should keep me satisfied. :)

7. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah cories need a larger group and more swimming area. You'll have to post a photo when you get it set up!:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice