How Many Platties Can I Have In A 55l Aquarium,and What Fish Go Well With Platties.

Fish-keeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello,

I have just bought a 55L (not sure what it is in gallons) fish tank as an upgrade from my smaller tank and I currently have 4 platties + 2 fry, how may more platties can I have in the tank or should I not get anymore. Also what other fish go well with Platties.

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Fish...

Your tank is roughly 14 gallons. That's small for a larger fish like a Platy. I suggest at least a 30 gallon tank for fast breeding, livebearing fish like a Platy. Small fish, like Tetras would be better in a small tank.

Old

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
@Fish-keeper
Wanted some color in my Planted 55g Community. Added 3 Platys. Then I had 5+ 10+ 20+, they breed like rabbits. You'll have more then the tank can handle in a very short time.

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Look 55L is a lot of water, it can easily home my platties. I was just wondering how many more I can have.
Well, I suppose my answer is I would stay at the 6 you have and make plans to re-home any more fry. This is just my view, you certainly don't have to take any advice you get on the forum.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Look 55L is a lot of water, it can easily home my platties. I was just wondering how many more I can have.
My fish store says about 8-10.
If you want us to agree with the fish store that wants to sell you more fish I guess we could but most of us won't. 15 gallons may look like a lot of water to you compared to the 6 gallon you started with but if you have female platys they will soon overwhelm your new tank with fry. Do you have an outlet for all those fish once grown?

Personally I wouldn't add any more at this time. If you want more just be patient and you will soon have more than you know what to do with.

as always just my humble opinion.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom