How Many Platies?

alexandramew

Reaction score
So after many aquarium visits and discussion I have decided to make platies the main feature of my tank. I have gotten a whole range of different opinions for how many platies I can fit in my tank so am looking for a more solid answer!
I have a 90 litre tank (which is just short of 24 gallons) which is currently stocked with 6 bloodfin glass tetras, 5 cory cats and 5 platies. Is it possible for me to get more platies, and if so how many? There are some plants and an ornament in the tank. We've had it for around 4 months and had no issues outside of a dwarf gourami death thanks to iridovirus. We do weekly water changes of around 30% and water parameters are always stable and good.

Luciferene

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It would depend on what type of cory cat you have, but regardless I wouldn't get more unless you're only keeping one sex of platies.

Even with other fish to eat the fry, eventually some will survive and they can overpopulate.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree. With livebearers in tanks all the way up from a 10 gal. to a 75 gal, always take in account and anticipation for the pending extra space that will be utilized for any possible bioload additions. I wouldn't get any more fish unless it's maybe another bottom feeder or 2.

alexandramew

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, I knew there was something I wasn't considering when I was getting different responses.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Usually "tank space" is a gross generalization and universally considered, but a bit of a different factor to your overall bio-load in comparison; sure, one is kinda like simple physics, and the other is a biological standard per the ecosystem and it's parameters. Both are equally important, although the primary difference being, your bio-load will greatly wary in what creatures you submit within the tank. Thus, in essence, with Platys, it's always important to consider their biological behavior, kinda like a forthcoming 3rd dimension: as there is a high probability that there will be more born. I have one 10 gal. with only 2 females and 1 male, which almost inevitably has increased over about a year after about 10 out of about 20 fry had survived, therefore increasing the bio-load of the tank. Bascially, when stocking livebearers, you always wanna allow yourself (and the fish) a certain amount of "slack", meaning more space. Simple concept, but important in the long run.

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Also keep in mind that platies are legit poop machines, and they do get sort of big. They have a higher bioload than most fish their size that needs to be accounted for.

...aaaaand as @SFGiantsGuy said, if you are keeping both sexes they WILL end up overpopulating the tank in time. If not for their bioload, I would take this as reason enough not to add more. You'll have more soon whether you buy them or not.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom