How many Platies can I safely add at a time?

Fishnugget43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Petsmart gave me a female and a Male platy telling me they were both males... Now I have 3 Male platies and a Male Molly and ONE Female platy... How many more females can I add at a time? Oh, and will it hurt to get ottos at the same time? I hear they don't add uch to the bio load and my tank is established (50 gallon)

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would say no more them 5 at a time, but if ur careful and do a few extra water changes, a couple or more could go in at a time too

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Can't you take the female back?

Fishnugget43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I could take the female back, but I was planning on getting some anyway. If I find she is getting harassed I will put her in my 16g tank. I doubt those guys will bug her... And I think she might be pregnant again... so a breeder container or net is on my list of things to get now... Gravid spot darkening and bigger belly is a sign right? maybe I will put her in the 16g for the babies anyway...

Kopeth

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fishnugget43 said:
I could take the female back, but I was planning on getting some anyway. If I find she is getting harassed I will put her in my 16g tank. I doubt those guys will bug her... And I think she might be pregnant again... so a breeder container or net is on my list of things to get now... Gravid spot darkening and bigger belly is a sign right? maybe I will put her in the 16g for the babies anyway...
Just remember that you bought the fish not that long ago and too many changes could stress the fish out and possibly get it sick.

Just make sure if you have to move her into another tank that all the water parameters are ok.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kopeth said:
Just remember that you bought the fish not that long ago and too many changes could stress the fish out and possibly get it sick.

Just make sure if you have to move her into another tank that all the water parameters are ok.
or she could abort her pregnancy

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
you could get a divider for your tank until she has settled into the tank the divider could keep her from being harassed by the males

Fishnugget43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I like the divider idea. Although the two tanks are very similar except one is 1 degree warmer. I don't want to risk the pregnancy

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would take the female platy back too and just get another male platy elsewhere, not from petsmart.

I didn't know that platies can abort pregnacy. How would you tell?

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Their tummy would shrink again
They may expell the eggs, or half grown fry, or in some cases they reabsorb the eggs for the nutrients.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads