How many plants to remove?

fishietank

Soon, I'll be moving my shrimp colony from a 5.5g tank to a new 18g tank. Right now I am cycling the tank (and a fish in there that will probably eat the plants), but when the tank is ready, I will be moving some plants over along with some shrimp that I will have caught in a trap. My question is: I don't want to remove too many plants at a time because I have lots of baby shrimp in the tank and I don't want to take away too much of their food source, so how many plants should I remove, per week, let's say?

PeterFishKeepin

Depends how many plants are in the tank, perhaps 1 or two every couple days???

ProudPapa

Soon, I'll be moving my shrimp colony from a 5.5g tank to a new 18g tank. Right now I am cycling the tank (and a fish in there that will probably eat the plants), but when the tank is ready, I will be moving some plants over along with some shrimp that I will have caught in a trap. My question is: I don't want to remove too many plants at a time because I have lots of baby shrimp in the tank and I don't want to take away too much of their food source, so how many plants should I remove, per week, let's say?

How long do you plan to wait before moving some shrimp into the new tank?

fishietank

How long do you plan to wait before moving some shrimp into the new tank?
Well it depends on how long it takes to cycle. It's been set up since June 29th, I believe, and >24 hours after a water change the nitrite levels seem to be about 2.0ppm, however there is no ammonia. I would think later this month it might be closer to being (if not already) cycled.

Depends how many plants are in the tank, perhaps 1 or two every couple days???
Okay that sounds good to me. Minus the mosses in the tank, I have about 5 different plant bunches in there.

ProudPapa

Well it depends on how long it takes to cycle. It's been set up since June 29th, I believe, and >24 hours after a water change the nitrite levels seem to be about 2.0ppm, however there is no ammonia. I would think later this month it might be closer to being (if not already) cycled.

I asked because I've struggled getting shrimp to thrive in a tank that's been running less than 3 months, and I've seen other people say the same thing. Shrimp graze on biofilm pretty much non-stop, and it takes about that long for it to build up.

fishietank

I asked because I've struggled getting shrimp to thrive in a tank that's been running less than 3 months, and I've seen other people say the same thing. Shrimp graze on biofilm pretty much non-stop, and it takes about that long for it to build up.
The adult shrimp that I have now were put in a tank that was running for just over 1 month that previously had guppies in there and they seemed to do fine. They started having babies a few weeks after they were put in this tank which I was surprised about because they were shipped through the mail and I thought they would need a longer break-in period. Also I wasn't even dosing Bacter AE on that tank at all, but it seemed as though the biofilm was established enough to support the 13 adult shrimp I had.

Every few days I am dosing the new tank with Bacter AE to help grow the biofilm before the shrimp are put in there so I think the biofilm will be established enough if they end up going in in a few weeks.

Thanks very much for telling me about yours and others' experiences with this.

I plan on moving a few over via the trap and seeing how they do first for a few days/a week before putting the rest in.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
andychrissytank
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
ROFEA
Replies
Views
fishietank
Replies
Views
SparkyJones

Random Great Thread!

Know of a great thread on Fishlore that should be on this list? Submit the thread link here:
Great threads on Fishlore

New Shrimp Threads

Top Bottom