How Many Phoenix Rasboras/chili Rasboras? 20 Gallon Tank 

Finatic005

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 20 gallon long tank. I was just wondering how many Phoenix/chili Rasboras for my tank. It will be heavily planted with Amano and blue carbon Rili shrimp, as well as one black orchid male betta.

Thanks for any suggestions!

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
In my opinion you could put a LOT of them in a 20 gallon.

Conservatively? 25-30.

A 20 gallon could hold more but if you're new to the hobby then that's the most I'd start with. It takes time and experience to get into tank maintenance routines, water parameter monitoring, learning to examine and watch the fish to evaluate their health, etc. If you keep the fish happy and healthy for 6+ months then maybe consider adding more if you want to.

Make sure your tank's cycled before adding them. At the minimum, I'd personally want the tank to process 3 ppm of ammonia to 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite in under 12 hours before I stocked. Some prefer within 24 hours. That might be fine too. Your call.

My chilis appreciated overhead cover (floating plants) and went crazy for baby brine shrimp (which I bought in frozen cubes). They're very pretty fish.

I hope you'll let us know how things go.

Celestialpearl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Speaking from experience with this exact breed and tank size I'd recommend starting at 25 and going from there. You could probably do up to about 40 depending what look you are going for and the temper of the there inhabitants.

As said by JenC they like cover. I found that they also appreciated a jungle like set up with plenty of tall plants to swim through and out into open spots.

Feeding these guys may be a challenge if you aren't use to such small fish. Crushed micro pellets, crushed flake food are good whole foods to give but they also really appreciate frozen baby brine, rotifers, cyclops and daphnia.

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Agree with both above. They have pretty small bioloads, so you could easily start out with one per gallon and then go for there....

Finatic005

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
JenC said:
In my opinion you could put a LOT of them in a 20 gallon.

Conservatively? 25-30.

A 20 gallon could hold more but if you're new to the hobby then that's the most I'd start with. It takes time and experience to get into tank maintenance routines, water parameter monitoring, learning to examine and watch the fish to evaluate their health, etc. If you keep the fish happy and healthy for 6+ months then maybe consider adding more if you want to.

Make sure your tank's cycled before adding them. At the minimum, I'd personally want the tank to process 3 ppm of ammonia to 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite in under 12 hours before I stocked. Some prefer within 24 hours. That might be fine too. Your call.

My chilis appreciated overhead cover (floating plants) and went crazy for baby brine shrimp (which I bought in frozen cubes). They're very pretty fish.

I hope you'll let us know how things go.
Celestialpearl said:
Speaking from experience with this exact breed and tank size I'd recommend starting at 25 and going from there. You could probably do up to about 40 depending what look you are going for and the temper of the there inhabitants.

As said by JenC they like cover. I found that they also appreciated a jungle like set up with plenty of tall plants to swim through and out into open spots.

Feeding these guys may be a challenge if you aren't use to such small fish. Crushed micro pellets, crushed flake food are good whole foods to give but they also really appreciate frozen baby brine, rotifers, cyclops and daphnia.
aussieJJDude said:
Agree with both above. They have pretty small bioloads, so you could easily start out with one per gallon and then go for there....
Thanks! I’ll get about 25 with some amanos once my tank can process 3 ppm ammonia in 24 hours. Could these guys eat 1mm sized pellet food? I do have flake food and baby brine shrimp.

Celestialpearl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Finatic005 said:
Could these guys eat 1mm sized pellet food? I do have flake food and baby brine shrimp.
They can if you roll it around on your fingers to break it apart. Their mouths are too small.

I have NLS .5mm pellets and those are too big...And they are difficult to break by rolling them around.

They can eat fluval bug bites for shrimp. There are small dusty pieces that they can manage. The bigger ones the Betta can eat.

I don’t want to be misleading and have you think they need micron sized food. They do not, just small enough to fit in their mouth.

Finatic005

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Celestialpearl said:
They can if you roll it around on your fingers to break it apart. Their mouths are too small.

I have NLS .5mm pellets and those are too big...And they are difficult to break by rolling them around.

They can eat fluval bug bites for shrimp. There are small dusty pieces that they can manage. The bigger ones the Betta can eat.

I don’t want to be misleading and have you think they need micron sized food. They do not, just small enough to fit in their mouth.
Ok thanks!

imba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
u can always feed them fry dust food.
one of the pellet thats tiny enough is Hikari Fancy Guppy.

Finatic005

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
imba said:
u can always feed them fry dust food.
one of the pellet thats tiny enough is Hikari Fancy Guppy.
Ok rhanks

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Baby brine shrimp is delicious to micro rasboras. Make your own or buy them in frozen cubes as I did. They went nuts for it.

What did you end up stocking?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom