How Many People With BIG Tanks?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cm11599ps, Mar 22, 2010.

1. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

I've had my 55 gallon for about 12 years. Before that I had 2 10 gallon tanks and different times of my life.

Through this time I have only encountered 2 other people that have tanks. One was my wife's sister who had a 10 gallon for the kids. The other is my wife's cousin who has a 120 gallon tank.

Granted, when people come to my house they love the tank because it's so much bigger than what they're used to. I love my tank.

For poops and giggles I've been browsing craigs list for the past 2 weeks just to see what's out there. I can't believe how many people have bigger tanks than I do. I see plenty of 75, 90. 120, 140, 150 and 210 gallon tanks for sale.

Someday I'd like to have a LARGE tank, even larger then the ones I mentioned here. I just can't believe how many people have these larger tanks.

I also wish I had friends and family here that were also interested in the hobby. It would be great to talk about it with them. Both of the family members I listed above live in Florida. I REALLY wish I had someone who had a saltwater tank because I'd love to get into that as well. I'm hoping that LARGE tank will be a SW setup but time will tell.

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello CM,

I'm loving my 265g :) I just upgraded past year from a 155g bow front and a 72g bow front. If you have the means and the space...go large! You'll be glad you did :)

Ken

3. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

friend of mine just got a 150g and I :drool: :;fru...Ive wanted one for ever!!
    but my house is just "tanked" out LOL
    I have
    2-75s
    and a bunch of smaller....

4. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

My biggest are a 50 gallon SW reef and a 75, 75, and 120 FW. There is a 90 sitting in the fishroom that we are going to combine our reef tanks into someday.

5. bubblynutter

bubblynutter Well Known Member Member

I put the deposit on a used 180g last night... Now I just have to figure out where in my house can support the weight!!

I don't want to venture into smaller tanks yet, levels mess up way too quickly for my liking.

6. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I have 1 90g, two 75g's, and 9 55g's in addition to 15+ smaller tanks.

7. REDKAHUNA

REDKAHUNA Valued Member Member

I have 1 55 bow front The house tank

4 29 H

2 20 H

12 20 L

8 15

100 10

12 5

I am slowly changing the fish house and losing some tanks

8. bubblynutter

:jawdrop: What - do you own a shop? Or a mansion! That's insane... (I'm jealous, but not of your water changes!)

9. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

I've got a 56 gallon but that's about the biggest I can fit right now :p I have a 32 as well but I don't think that counts :p

10. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

I have a 72 gal bow front, a 35 gal and a 10 gal. Oh let me not forget the empty 10 gal I have waiting for one of MM's bettas.

11. Dandee

Dandee New Member Member

I have a 125g, 32g, and two 10g. I would love to have a larger one (200-300g) but the other half says the 125g is large enough. :rolleyes: :;laughing

12. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I've got a 125g in my storage to be setup sometime next month! I don't think I'll go any bigger though. This is a huge step up for me as is! lol

13. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Oh the goldfish I'd have in a 125.... <drool>

14. Omgami

Omgami Valued Member Member

I have a 75 gal FW Oranda tank. I would love to have a few larger tanks but I really don't know where I would put them. I have a 36 bow and 29 gal SW, 20 gal divided betta tank and a 28 gallon Hex. I keep seeing all the great deals on Craigslist as well and I can't believe how many really large tanks are listed. I'm really working n my MTS so this is a dangerous topic for me!

15. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I've got 2 x180gal & 2 x 63gal. The other tanks are all smaller. Seriously thinking aobut getting a 10x3x3ft tank made up & replacing the 2 x 6ft tanks with the one larger one. All the fish would work together seeing as I don't have my Oscars & Terror as of last night.

16. bubblynutter

oh no! what happened to your fish Nutter?

17. crazedACD

crazedACD Valued Member Member

Two 55gs here, a 10g, and a 5g. Live with mom though...I would imagine when I get my own place I'll have several more!! :D

18. Amanda

Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

I have a 150 set up for my cichlids. :)

19. Algae Eater

Algae Eater Well Known Member Member

I totally sympathize with you, CM. All I get from my family are :rolleyes:. And I used to think 55 gallons was so huge, but it really isn't. You're still limited by what you can put in it, especially if you want some larger species. If I had the space and the money, I would definitely go bigger!

20. sirdarksol

sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

A 90g houses my tropical community, which can once again be called The Collective (all of the fish in it tend to school together, despite the fact that they're from different species), and I've got a 120g that will be home to a temperate community (rosy red minnows, hillstream loaches, and, if I an ever find/afford a pair, a type of small gourami that lives in cold mountain runoff.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice