0.0%
  1. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

take the poll please a little information on this plant

hornwort
    does well in low light
    grows tall
    can cut it to fit your tank
    is commonly sold as bunch plants
    propaganda by new stems forming off the main stem the cutting those and replanting those

as soon as i get a little more i can start shipping this out to people in the U.S. only unless you figure all the details out on how to ship it to were you live

free of cost just need to pay for shipping possibly depending how much it is

anyobdy with ideas on how to ship it let me know

VOTE

2. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

3. Marc Well Known Member Member

Well, you could ship it through FedEx, UPS, or something similiar - take a cardboard box, line it with some sort of insulation (frozen plant = dead plant) and make sure that the bag will be strong enough to hold up to the trip. It has to be stronger than the average fish bag and should be able to hold up to falling. Otherwise you might just end up with a dead plant and a soggy box :)

4. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

would you like to expierement on shipping my hornwort with me Marc once i get some more and the weather warms up a little? if it did work you would get some free plants since i will pay for everything

anybody else want to expierent

5. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

il ask :)

6. Marc Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't mind helping you out and I'll see if I can't find you any good links for packaging them.

7. Marc Well Known Member Member

Wow - never would of thought of this, but you could ship them in a large enough gatorade bottle wrapped in tinfoil.

You can also check out this link:

http://www.bellaonline.com/ArticlesP/art27911.asp

If you ship it as you would ship a fish then it will get there in great condition :)

8. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

thats intresting

9. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

ok thanks i will have to read that

i will try to ask on the other forum i am on since there are some people who are OBSEESED with their plants

10. Jon Well Known Member Member

Id love some... ill be an experiementer or if you dont need any experimenters ill pay. i really want more plants especially if anyone has some java moss.

11. genie Well Known Member Member

try putting a small styrofoam cooler in a shipping box, and put your bag or container holding the plant in the cooler. The styrofoam will insulate, and it doesn't weigh that much, so shipping weight wont increase much. You can get these at Walmart around the camping section, or in the fishing bait section. Plus if you want to get real fancy, put one of those heat packs in the cooler, ya know the kind you use to warm your hands or sore muscles. I would love to know if this works. Keep me posted. PS if you are still looking for practice dummies (ha ha) I volunteer. Good luck

12. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Atm, if you remember my experience with UPS, don't ship with them! Just go to my thread "I hate UPS" (on my blog). It's not only me who's had problems with UPS. UPS doesn't care about the packages, so imagine the condition in which people would get plants handled by UPS people! US Postal Service was super-fast and super-careful with my plants. I'd ship with them again anytime. I've heard good things about DHL and FedEx as well.

Anyway ... Atm, I clicked "no" on your poll because I myself soon won't know what to do with my own Hornwort! Is this plant crazy or what? LOL ;D

13. MamaM Member Member

I actually was looking for Hornwort the last time I bought a plant for my new 10 gal! My Amazon swords aren't doing well there (I have a small one and its leaves are fairly light and some are beginning to get almost transluscent!!), so I assume my light is not enough for them (yet it's got the same markings as my other tank's light!). I need to find ferilizer next time I go to the pet store.

Anyhow, I'd be happy to help you out & buy some Hornort when you're ready. :)

Sharon

14. Beavis Initiate Member

Thats awesome! I would like some plants. I just bought some off ebay!! I cant wait to get them because i tried live plants before but i had a huge snail (r.i.p) who ate them all on me. :p

15. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

Ah a resurected thread.

Yup seen it Isabella, haven't had bad expierence with them yet LOL.

Completely forgot about this thread but once I get some more I can try giving some away, just gave my last bunch to my aunt. I've been really busy with school, track, and my marine tank so I haven't been on much that's why it took me so long to respong sorry to leave anybody hanging. I'll PM you guys in a little bit, if I forget PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Yes this plant is crazy Isabella, though the growth has slowed down when I transfered it to low lighting. It grows soooooo much faster with high lighting and even faster with co2. Anarchis can grow extremely fast in little bit higher lighting too. I filled a 2.5galon tank with it completely so you couldn't see in 2 months.

16. sick-lid boy Member Member

A few weeks ago I bought a few plants on eBay- two Amazon Swords and a Crypt Wendtii. I was kind of curious as to how they were going to be packaged and shipped, but they were fairly inexpensive, so I wasn't too worried about it. When the package arrived I was amazed at how little the package weighed. Felt like an empty box.

Anyway, the way he packaged them was he simply put the plants in a little ziplock bag with maybe a few drops of water... a half teaspoon at the absolute most, two Amazon swords in one baggie and the Crypt in another. Then just wrapped the baggies in newspaper and stuck them in a box. He used USPS Priority mail and mailed them out on a Thursday or Friday, so they didn't arrive until Monday. All three plants arrived healthy.

One of the Amazon Swords died about a week later, but that was my fault- I have one of those double screw in type lighting fixtures, and just had a bulb in one side. The Crypt and one of the Swords that were planted on the side of the tank with the light bulb are doing great, but I planted the other Sword on the opposite side of the tank and it turned transparent and died.

I now have a bulb on both sides and ordered a few more plants form the same dude which should be here tomorrow...

So you might try packaging them that way and see how it works out for you. The guy sells quite a few plants on eBay, so I guess it must be working for him. Here's his auctions of you want to check them out: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ50QQsassZsweetQ5fpantsQ5fplants

17. MamaM Member Member

Sorry ATM--I didn't see the date on the original post (saw the date, but passed over the YEAR!!). I don't NEED any, but wanted to help you out! ;) No worries here. Take care! ;)

Sharon

18. hamstermann Member Member

I'll take some if it's still up for grabs. :)

19. Gargoyle Well Known Member Member

atm still got any plants you wanna sell ??

20. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

Actually I'm having a problem atm with it, my angels keep tossing it up and it's taking awhile to grow. When I do I'll see what I can do. I actually might be working at a petstore this summer and would be able to get reduced hornwort and ship some out, don't know at the moment. I'm going to delete this topic in a few days since it's no longer relevant sorry. When I get some surplus I'll be sure to come here first. Right now it's in guppies not hornowrt :D