How Many Peacocks? 55 Gallon Tank

1. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

Just picked up another 55, currently have 7 tanks now lol. Anyway, I haven’t kept Peacock Cichlids since high school, and that was my dads 125. I wanted to hear everyone’s opinion on how many I can have in there in the end. Only Peacocks, no other AC. (Obviously not throwing them all in at once) I have a general idea, but I want other experienced AC keepers to voice their opinions. I’ll have a canister and sponge filter, they’ll be more than the recommended filtration.

2. FlipFlopFishFlake

FlipFlopFishFlake Well Known Member Member

Do you plan on keeping all male or a group of males and females?

3. OP
    OP
    AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

I hadn’t thought of that. I was just thinking of getting the ones I like the look of. It’s super hard to sex them anyway, the males and females are bred to have egg spots and long fins. Not to mention that I’m going to start them out really small. What do you think?

4. FlipFlopFishFlake

FlipFlopFishFlake Well Known Member Member

Males are more colorful in my experience, so I would do an all male tank. When keeping females with males, it can get real sketchy, and if you get the male to female ratio wrong there is a chance of fighting. 8-10 male peacocks is probably a good amount, though I did pull off 13 peacocks in a 55 before.
    If you would consider ordering online, you could get sexed peacocks (though I think they might be bigger than you would want)