How many ottos?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by kidster9700, Aug 7, 2015.

1. kidster9700

kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

This is for my 38 with two filters.
    Okay, so my stocking has changed a little since I got two more platies. Right now it's
    6 Julii cories
    6 platies
    2 pearl gouramis
    2 mystery snails
    1 Asian bumblebee catfish (they get 6")
    1 harlequin rasbora
    I'm going to go buy 5 more harlequins tomorrow, I wanted to have ten but I can't have ottos then.
    Can I still have 6 ottos? Or no? They have such a small bio load I feel like I could have ten in there lol. I'm also going to get a bamboo shrimp and two more mystery snails. Maybe some Amano shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. TanksbyTim

TanksbyTimValued MemberMember

I would need to know your full stocking list before offering advice on this. It seems that you're a little unsure as to what you would still like to add to your tank. Based solely on what you already have stocked in your tank and the additional Harlequin Rasboras, I would say that you could have the Ottos. This is of course determined without knowing what filters you are using on your tank, which plays an important role in stocking guidelines and water changes. If you decide to change your stock list, simply use http://www.aqadvisor.com to help you with stocking. Good luck!

3. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

The Bumblebee might well eat the Otos (and possibly the Harlequins). Bumblebee Cats should also be kept in groups of 6+, or a breeding pair...

4. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

No, Asian bumblebee cats need to be kept solo as they are aggressive with their own kind. And since they stay exclusively on the bottom harlequins are fine. Ottos will be too big, I think. But it could get aggressive, so that is something to consider. I've had mine for a little over a month and have noticed it is really content with the right side of my tank because it has nice little driftwood caves it hide in and stays dark. I haven't noticed it picking on the cories, however I did have one Cory show up with some tattered fins and it died a few days later.

Also, that is my full stocking list. Unless you think I can add more? I would only want to increase the numbers of the harlequins and/or the cories but I think I just want 6 ottos.

I have an Aqueon quiet flow 30 and a fluval aquaclear 50. They're 200GPH each. I also have a fairly large amount of plants, although that doesn't really mean too much other than they have plenty of hiding spots.

5. hampalong

Sorry but Asian Bumblebee Cats are shoaling fish that live in groups, and eat small fish. I've kept them many times. They're only agressive to conspecifics when they don't have enough space.

6. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

I've read in many places that they are to be kept solo. Are you sure we are talking about the same species? There are quite a few bumblebee catfish. I've also had a thread about my stocking before and have had no one disagree with the catfish being kept solo.

7. hampalong

Pseudomystus, formerly Leiocassis? They will all squeeze into the same hide like sardines.... very communal. Planet Catfish says they're solo unless the tank is big enough, which is their way of saying they're agressive when the tank is too small for a group...

A 38 gallon is too small for a group. The smaller South American bumblebees would be better suited...

8. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Either way, the Juliis are large enough to not be eaten and my decor has been designed around it so that it does not fight with its Cory competition.
    If you think that the harlequins are too small to become food, even at a grown size of 2" then what could I have in there instead? And I know ottos are "bottom dwellers" but they often go up on the glass and all that. So I though they would be okay. I could see them being a snack, though. I don't really like plecos because they poop so much but we have these little baby albino bristle nose plecos at my work and they're adorable. Would one of those be okay?

Okay, yeah. I must have misread the same species aggression. But it's still okay to be solo. Especially since i do not have room for a second. (Not with the cories!)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2015
  9. hampalong

I would not agree that a fish that lives in groups is ok to be solo, and two or three will fight... that's often the case with shoaling fish...

10. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

I don't think we are going to come to an agreement on the bumblebee then. I truly believe that they are a solo or group fish (I do believe the group part now that you explained it and I did a little more research) but I haven't read anything about them needing to be with other bumblebee cats. Do you have some sources for it?
    I don't really want to spend the whole thread fighting on the bumblebee because I just want to know more about whether or not I can add ottos.

I think I'm going to get one Otto and see how it fares. If I see the bumblebee chase it at all, I'm going to move it into the 55 because I have a solo Otto in there that I need to get more of anyways.
    I'm going to go ahead with the rest of my stocking plans. If anyone wants to add to this discussion, I really just want ottos or to up the number of cories and harlequins (or maybe an albino bristle nose now that I think about it...)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2015
  11. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

One Oto won't do well at all. They're also social shoalers and need to be kept in groups. Three is the absolute minimum I'd do at a time.

I think you have room for the Otos in terms of bioload, but you'd really be best off without that Asian Bumblebee cat. I've heard stories about them turning small bottom dwellers into snacks. It may be okay with your cories and Otos, as they both have spines that make them undesirable as meals, but it may not be.

12. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

I meant one Otto like for a week. Then if it all seems okay then I would add the rest. I know they like to shoal, I've normally kept them in a group of four or five. I really don't think the bumblebee will be an issue, but I'll keep watching for aggression towards the cories. The bumblebee is currently over 5" and close to full grown, so now I'm thinking ottos aren't going to be a good choice. Hmm. I really like having little sucker fish, are there other options besides the plecos? Something else that is less likely to be a snack?

13. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

In a 38 gallon with what you already have, I would re-home the bumblebee, get more rasbora, and call it good.

14. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Really? I love that guy. And it really does have plenty of space in there... My only other option is another tank that has cories and ottos, but NO driftwood. And there's two kribs. So really not exactly anywhere for him to go.

15. BDpups

That is what I would do. I think with the bumblee most of your stock is at risk. I don't have any info on whether they need to be kept with more than one or not, but a 6 inch cat is very likely to eat everything but the gourami.

16. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Alright, I'm going to get a few more opinions on the bumblebee since I'm going to a fish meeting this weekend, but do you think my second option is really any better?
    And without the bumblebee, is that just add the rasboras and no ottos?

17. BDpups

I think that would be perfect myself. If anything have 10 to 12 rasbora. Bigger schools of small fish looks so cool to me.

18. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Okay. I wanted to have 10 rasbora anyways. I think for now I'm going to keep the bumblebee but I'll be on the lookout for a new home.
    Would there be any space for a bristle nose or do they poop too much? An albino would be so pretty on my black sand.

19. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Here's a nice shot of my tank. Got more plants (I may add some more, I'm trying to get the microswords to spread) and it's fully stocked. Minus the Asian bumblebee that is still in there and needs to be rehomed. For now, is the bio-load okay though? Or will I need to do extra water changes?
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439072127.042178.jpg
    So the final stocking is now:
    4 mystery snails
    2 nerite snails
    12 ghost shrimp
    1 bamboo shrimp
    10 harlequin rasboras
    6 Julii cories
    6 platies
    2 pearl gouramis
    1 albino bristle nose pleco
    (And 1 Asian bumblebee catfish)