How many ottos in 16 gallon shrimp tank

TacomaToker

Reaction score
I’ve got a 16 gallon tank with about 25 cherry shrimp. There are 3 ottos doing great in there, but I don’t get the schooling behavior much. I’d like to add 3 more, I’m wondering if people here think that’s appropriate. The tank is next to a window, receives 14 hours of light per day, and is dosed with ferts so there plenty of algae to go around. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Edit: I forgot to mention that I feed the ottos zucchini

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you are sure there is plenty of algae, if your tank is fully cycled, if you are going to be on top of the maintence , then 3 more ottos can work. They like to have a group of friends around. 6 is a good minimum for a shoal of ottos. But they are not really going to do any schooling.

OP
T

TacomaToker

Reaction score
Noroomforshoe said:
If you are sure there is plenty of algae, if your tank is fully cycled, if you are going to be on top of the maintence , then 3 more ottos can work. They like to have a group of friends around. 6 is a good minimum for a shoal of ottos. But they are not really going to do any schooling.
I just meant some behavior like this:

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Because of the size of the tank I think 3 is enough. Having them eat zucchini is a plus but I’d still stay at 3. I have 4 in a 90,125 and a 30. All are doing great.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have 11 of them in my 40B and while sometime they will group up when eating i never see them 'school'. Pygmy cory will school (but your tank is too small for 6 of them and they are smaller than ottos). Ottos are social but not really schooling fishes.
--
Looking at the video - 3 should occasionally do that but even having 11 they don't do that very often - occasionally i will get 9 together but usually they scatter out - the clumping occurs when they find something really good to eat in one spot (i do frequently get 3 to 5 feeding off the zuc together).

OP
T

TacomaToker

Reaction score
jake37 said:
I have 11 of them in my 40B and while sometime they will group up when eating i never see them 'school'. Pygmy cory will school (but your tank is too small for 6 of them and they are smaller than ottos). Ottos are social but not really schooling fishes.
--
Looking at the video - 3 should occasionally do that but even having 11 they don't do that very often - occasionally i will get 9 together but usually they scatter out - the clumping occurs when they find something really good to eat in one spot (i do frequently get 3 to 5 feeding off the zuc together).
Yea, I have a school of 6 panda corys in my 45 gallon and they roam the tank together all the time. You're saying the ottos won't exhibit the same type of behavior?

When looking around online, it says the minimum number for ottos is 4-5. Should I just get 1 more?

86 ssinit said:
Because of the size of the tank I think 3 is enough. Having them eat zucchini is a plus but I’d still stay at 3. I have 4 in a 90,125 and a 30. All are doing great.
I think I am going to get 1 more, since 4 feels like the minimum number throughout my research online. You having 4 in each tank is further evidence to support that. Thanks!

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would stick with the 3 otos you have. If you add more they would probably starve because there won't be enough algae. 3 seems like a little much already.

OP
T

TacomaToker

Reaction score
AquaticQueen said:
I would stick with the 3 otos you have. If you add more they would probably starve because there won't be enough algae. 3 seems like a little much already.
Wrong. They won’t starve, since they eat zucchini all day every day. Please read the entire post. Thank you.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe that you are fine to get more. the ones that you have eat zuccini so even if the new one/ones do not adapt to it, they should have plenty of algae. Your main issue will be controlling the water conditions. you want to keep your nitrates in the safe zone, which is at the most 40 ppm, but better at 10-30 ppm.

FYI, that grouping behavior looks like my loaches when I drop a wafer or vegitable in the tank. or when you see ottos in the pet store and there are 20 in the tank. In the wild , were most otos are directly removed from, there could be a thousand of them in a group. so even suggesting that a minimum school should be 6 is kind of silly, for lack of a better word.

New Threads