How many Ottos for a 16 gallon long shrimp tank?

TacomaToker

Reaction score
I've got a 16 gallon long tank with about 25 cherry shrimps. There's a lot of space, moss, and decorations so 25 shrimps take up less space than I thought. How many ottos can I add to spice things up? I am thinking 4-5. Thanks for any advice

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
TacomaToker said:
I've got a 16 gallon long tank with about 25 cherry shrimps. There's a lot of space, moss, and decorations so 25 shrimps take up less space than I thought. How many ottos can I add to spice things up? I am thinking 4-5. Thanks for any advice
Heyo,

Personally I would add none. Otocinclus and neocaridina go after the same food source, algae/biofilm/infusoria and theoretically one or the other would outcompete each other.

If you are set on them get a pair of them. They are really social fish so you should ideally purchase at least 2, but more than that may wipe the tanks food source clean.

FishBoy101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
FinalFins said:
Heyo,

Personally I would add none. Otocinclus and neocaridina go after the same food source, algae/biofilm/infusoria and theoretically one or the other would outcompete each other.

If you are set on them get a pair of them. They are really social fish so you should ideally purchase at least 2, but more than that may wipe the tanks food source clean.
I agree, they will clean algae till there is no more and then starve.

OP
T

TacomaToker

Reaction score
FinalFins said:
Heyo,

I've heard of lots of people keeping neos and ottos succesfully. tons of forums posts of people who say they live peacefully together. theres a lot of green algae in the tank and I've got plenty of algae tabs on hand. you really think there would be food shortages? the tank is right next to a window.. lots of algae.

Thanks for your help :)

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
TacomaToker said:
I've heard of lots of people keeping neos and ottos succesfully. tons of forums posts of people who say they live peacefully together. theres a lot of green algae in the tank and I've got plenty of algae tabs on hand. you really think there would be food shortages? the tank is right next to a window.. lots of algae.

Thanks for your help :)
As the colony of neo's grow, there will be more and more competition between the two groups, and the neo's have the upper hand on food.
TacomaToker said:
Thanks, 3 sounds good. Do they not need 4-5 as a group?
They do, but adding 4-5 ultimately means death by starvation.

New Threads