How Many Otto Cats In Species Only 20 Gallon Long?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by keeperofmanyponds, Apr 16, 2018.

1. keeperofmanyponds

keeperofmanyponds Valued Member Member

I have a 20 long with 6 ottos and ever since moving the tiger barbs out, these fish have become very happy and I want to add more, what are your suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. Buganjimo

Buganjimo Well Known Member Member

I’m not... amazing... at stocking, but I think 12 is a good number, stick all the info in aqua advisor and see about what stocking percentage you’re at. Aqua advisor isn’t 100% accurate but can be useful sometimes, you want to aim for 70-80% stocking to leave room for human error, plus, otos are pretty sensitive. But I think 12 is a good number, any second opinion?

3. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Just be sure they have enough to eat. They are close to being pure vegetarians. They need algae wafers and fresh veggies.

4. OP
    OP
    keeperofmanyponds

I have been feeding well with algae from my other tanks. I have an algae culture going in a seperate small tank but when the culture is done I will add more ottos. Do you think 12 is the ideal number?

5. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Ottos like a good group, if well fed and in pristine water 12 would be fine.

6. Puck44

Puck44 Valued Member Member

What other species will you have will them?

7. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

12+ is an ideal number.

What filter do you have?

8. OP
    OP
    keeperofmanyponds

I have no idea. I might do one betta fish but not sure. I want to do a single species otto tank for a while.

Marineland penguin 30 gal capacity and aqua neat powerhead bubble filter 20 gallon capacity. So two filters combined 50 gallon capacity.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
  9. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

You could go up to 18.

10. OP
    OP
    keeperofmanyponds

I have decided to move one of my current betta fish into the 20 gallon. He is so peaceful and hasn't hurt any of the shrimp he is with. I may stick with 12 ottos to keep the bioload down. I really love these fish they seem so easy to keep.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice