How many otos?

1. k9z3boys Member Member

we have 2 otos in a 26 bowfront with 4 mollies.... I heard 10g per fish due to the voraciousness of the eating so that would be about right... then I also read they need to be in groups of at least 6. how many is really ideal? we supplement with algae flakes and are growing our own algae also so maybe amount of food isn't a factor....

2. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

I would get at least a total of 5 otos in a group, 6 if you can. Since you have a smaller tank you will need to supplement there food with algae you are growing for them, algae wafers, and also blanched veggies like zucchini, spinach, and other leafy greens (spring mix salad blend works good).

3. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Otos live in huge shoals in nature, so you should always keep a minimum of 6, preferably more. You've easily got room for a few more in a 26 gallon.

In most cases its not practical to feed them just algae, so they don't need a lot of individual space. You can feed all sorts of other veg aswell as plant-based foods.

4. k9z3boys Member Member

thank you both! I will try zucchini again for the plecos and see if the otos will eat some