How many of visitors per purchase?

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
1 year
What percentage of people who visit an lfs make a purchase? If you don's know, what would your estimate or guess be?

mimo91088

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have absolutely no idea, I've never worked in a LFS. But I'd estimate off the top of my head like maybe 1 in 8? I'm sure plenty of people come in just to look around. But there's also those of us who make a point of buying something every time.

For example, I just had a LFS open less than a 1/4 mile from my work. He's mostly a reef guy, so he's actually an amazing saltwater store. But the freshwater section is still "coming soon". I check in every week or two to chat with the owner and ask how it's coming along. I'm not a big saltwater guy, but I love the fact than an LFS is doing business in my neighborhood. So I spend money there solely to support a fellow hobbyist looking to make it a business.

Even if the store doesn't cater to my taste yet, I bought a tshirt the first time I went in. Every time I go back I pick up some frozen food or something even if I don't really need it. Everyone wants the local mom and pop fish places around. Best way to keep them in business is by buying stuff.

I'm sure im not the only one who does this. Must be at least a small portion of the customers.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
My lps sells all pets food. So I’m in there regularly for dog food. So I always am buying something. He used to have a big fish room but he’s moved and the fish room is still coming. Lol kinda happy it’s closed :). Haven’t been buying much lately. But when he reopens I’ll be in trouble.

OP
AJE

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
1 year
mimo91088 said:
I have absolutely no idea, I've never worked in a LFS. But I'd estimate off the top of my head like maybe 1 in 8? I'm sure plenty of people come in just to look around. But there's also those of us who make a point of buying something every time.

For example, I just had a LFS open less than a 1/4 mile from my work. He's mostly a reef guy, so he's actually an amazing saltwater store. But the freshwater section is still "coming soon". I check in every week or two to chat with the owner and ask how it's coming along. I'm not a big saltwater guy, but I love the fact than an LFS is doing business in my neighborhood. So I spend money there solely to support a fellow hobbyist looking to make it a business.

Even if the store doesn't cater to my taste yet, I bought a tshirt the first time I went in. Every time I go back I pick up some frozen food or something even if I don't really need it. Everyone wants the local mom and pop fish places around. Best way to keep them in business is by buying stuff.

I'm sure im not the only one who does this. Must be at least a small portion of the customers.
Me too, I won’t go into a fish store without at least buying something, if I don’t need anything I just buy the cheapest thing that I might need someday. I’m asking because I have to do a business plan for a class and I’m using a fish store for my hypothetical business

Kitley

Reactions
I very seldom go in without buying something...even if it is for my Grandaughters rabbit..lol

Fishcat

Well Known
Reactions
I generally only go if I’m planning to buy, and the LFS guy is always extremely helpful and polite, though I‘m only getting a guppy and an ounce of blackworms.

JettsPapa

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
1 year
I'll agree with most of the other responses. I suspect very few people go into the store and don't buy anything. The only exception I can think of is if they were looking for a particular fish and the store didn't have it, but even then I'd think the person would often buy something anyway.

If you want numbers my estimate would be that less than 10% of the people who come into the store don't buy anything.

OP
AJE

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
1 year
I asked how many people don’t buy fish products on a forum full of fish nerds, I should have thought this through more lol

New Threads