How Many Of Each Shrimp?

Kristian Acevedo

Valued Member
Messages
224
Reaction score
102
Points
38
Experience
1 year
Honestly, as many as you want. I would up your Harlequin Rasbora school to 8 or more, and as many of any shrimp as you please. 8 Harlequins in a 15g basically leaves you very open to having a lot of shrimp
 

toran

Valued Member
Messages
325
Reaction score
86
Points
63
Experience
3 years
I have to totally agree. Shrimp have a very low bioload.

Be careful not to crossbreed. I've read the offspring are brown.
 

Kristian Acevedo

Valued Member
Messages
224
Reaction score
102
Points
38
Experience
1 year
toran said:
I have to totally agree. Shrimp have a very low bioload.

Be careful not to crossbreed. I've read the offspring are brown.
Or get wild and crossbreed Yellow Neos with RCS, and get Jade Green, it’s wild
 

toran

Valued Member
Messages
325
Reaction score
86
Points
63
Experience
3 years
Kristian Acevedo said:
Or get wild and crossbreed Yellow Neos with RCS, and get Jade Green, it’s wild
Really? Have you seen them? That would be pretty.
 

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,666
Reaction score
3,101
Points
298
Experience
3 years
As many as you want, but more means they'll need feeding more often. Crystal shrimp (caridina cantonesis) have really specific water parameters regarding ph, temperature, GH, KH, TDS, and temperature, so I'd read about that more you spend money on more, they're quite pricey
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,090
Reaction score
3,476
Points
448
Experience
4 years
Crs and rcs won't interbreed, and amanos won't with either of them, it's mainly the neos, you only want one color for them. CBS can be kept with crs for quite a while before the colors begin to muddy, so that may be an option. But really, in a 15 gallon you could have loads. I knew of someone who upgraded their neo only shrimp tank from a 5g to a 20, and pulled out over 500 shrimp... That's a bit extreme since you'll have fish as well, but I'd start with four or so more amanos (personal preference, they won't breed though) and get 10 neos and a total of 10 crs and just let them breed
 

Kristian Acevedo

Valued Member
Messages
224
Reaction score
102
Points
38
Experience
1 year
toran said:
Really? Have you seen them? That would be pretty.
Ive seen pictures of Jade Green shrimp, and the people have said that’s how they got that coloring. Personally, I can’t confirm, my friend bred yellow and reds, and most ended up with weird yellow and red saddles and what not, but a few greenish ones did appear. I would imagine it’s possible to breed them further into a very pretty green, but I don’t know enough about that.
 

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Messages
1,088
Reaction score
388
Points
108
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah the Amanos are gonna start out as reddish or a light green-brownish coloring anyway, so no worries there. RCS's may end up being a bit of a diluted red, or just...oddly colored. Yeah maybe even brown. And with a 15 gal or higher can hold a LOT of shrimp. Most nano tanks can hold a lot! And if and when you decide to stock more--then yes, cross breeding will be pretty much inevitable, with some wild colors. o_O...o_O...o_O
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,090
Reaction score
3,476
Points
448
Experience
4 years
I personally like the wild colored RCS, I have a tiny tank to put my wild colors I get from my blue dreams. If you want to be surprised, go get some blue dreams, they pop out some crazy colors. If you want a consistent color, get the classic reds. Also, amanos have 0% chance of having babies in a freshwater aquarium, and yet the adults can't live on saltwater even though the babies require it... almost seems like evolution tried to kill them..... They can have different tints, but will really just look clear with some brown spots. Oh, and those guys are really funny, they're super greedy. I've had one grab a goldfish pellet from right under my goldfish's nose and swim off with the whole thing. Oh, and I am currently experimenting with keeping neos and CBS together, so far it seems to be working out (aside from the Hydra infestation...). My TDS is 130-140, I remineralize my tap with salty shrimp gH+ (my tap has TDS 30), I get kH of 1/0 (technically unsafe, you should aim for at least 2), gH 6-7, pH 6.6. Also, it's heavily planted so my nitrates are normally 0, though I think they're good if it's 10 or under.
 

Kristian Acevedo

Valued Member
Messages
224
Reaction score
102
Points
38
Experience
1 year
Rtessy said:
I personally like the wild colored RCS, I have a tiny tank to put my wild colors I get from my blue dreams. If you want to be surprised, go get some blue dreams, they pop out some crazy colors. If you want a consistent color, get the classic reds. Also, amanos have 0% chance of having babies in a freshwater aquarium, and yet the adults can't live on saltwater even though the babies require it... almost seems like evolution tried to kill them..... They can have different tints, but will really just look clear with some brown spots. Oh, and those guys are really funny, they're super greedy. I've had one grab a goldfish pellet from right under my goldfish's nose and swim off with the whole thing. Oh, and I am currently experimenting with keeping neos and CBS together, so far it seems to be working out (aside from the Hydra infestation...). My TDS is 130-140, I remineralize my tap with salty shrimp gH+ (my tap has TDS 30), I get kH of 1/0 (technically unsafe, you should aim for at least 2), gH 6-7, pH 6.6. Also, it's heavily planted so my nitrates are normally 0, though I think they're good if it's 10 or under.
Not to hijack the thread, but speaking of wild colors, i’m considering getting 4 red, 4 mandarin 4 yellow 4 blue and 4 black, and just letting nature take its course and see what happens. Though my betta boy might have some issues with them in his tank lol
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,090
Reaction score
3,476
Points
448
Experience
4 years
Kristian Acevedo said:
Not to hijack the thread, but speaking of wild colors, i’m considering getting 4 red, 4 mandarin 4 yellow 4 blue and 4 black, and just letting nature take its course and see what happens. Though my betta boy might have some issues with them in his tank lol
Eventually, you will get just wild colors, but honestly I don't get why everyone hates on them, they look pretty cool and are genetically stronger due to mixes.
Edit: you may want to try with a ghost shrimp or two first to test aggression, but even if the betta is fine with the ghost shrimp they may not be with cherries since they're more colorful... just a warning
 

Kristian Acevedo

Valued Member
Messages
224
Reaction score
102
Points
38
Experience
1 year
Rtessy said:
Eventually, you will get just wild colors, but honestly I don't get why everyone hates on them, they look pretty cool and are genetically stronger due to mixes.
Edit: you may want to try with a ghost shrimp or two first to test aggression, but even if the betta is fine with the ghost shrimp they may not be with cherries since they're more colorful... just a warning
Yeah, I had a rough encounter with “ghost shrimp”, turned out they were whisker shrimp and they killed half my stock of ember tetras. So trying ghost shrimp again scares me lol. But my expectations are very realistic, I know it can go bad. He can be quite the diva about his space
 

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Messages
33,059
Reaction score
9,021
Points
608
Experience
2 years
Crystal reds (Caridina) and Neos will not interbreed, so that's not a concern.

What are the dimensions of the tank?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15

Sakana魚

Well Known Member
Messages
579
Reaction score
166
Points
63
Experience
1 year
TexasDomer said:
Crystal reds (Caridina) and Neos will not interbreed, so that's not a concern.

What are the dimensions of the tank?
It's the same foot print as a 20 high. It fits a 24" lid. Sorry I forgot the dimensions.
 

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Messages
33,059
Reaction score
9,021
Points
608
Experience
2 years
I'd add another 3 harlequins, 1-2 Amanos, 10x Neos, and 8x more crystals if you have the right parameters for them.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #17

Sakana魚

Well Known Member
Messages
579
Reaction score
166
Points
63
Experience
1 year
TexasDomer said:
I'd add another 3 harlequins, 1-2 Amanos, 10x Neos, and 8x more crystals if you have the right parameters for them.
My fulval stratum seems to be working theyve been alive for 2 1/2 weeks... I read they prefer temps of 72 would the HR be ok with that?
 

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Messages
33,059
Reaction score
9,021
Points
608
Experience
2 years
Here's some info on CRs:


Do you have the proper pH, GH, and KH?

There should be more flexibility on their temps, but harlequins are fine at 72 F.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #19

Sakana魚

Well Known Member
Messages
579
Reaction score
166
Points
63
Experience
1 year
TexasDomer said:
Here's some info on CRs:


Do you have the proper pH, GH, and KH?

There should be more flexibility on their temps, but harlequins are fine at 72 F.
They are pretty close.

If I were to take the HR out is there another fish you would recommend over them?
 

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Messages
33,059
Reaction score
9,021
Points
608
Experience
2 years
If you're going to spend the money on expensive CRS, I wouldn't keep any fish with them. Most fish will eat small shrimps.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom