How many of each and what else? 30 Gallon Tank 

Kellibear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Any thoughts are appriciated. I currently have 4 lemon tetras and would like to add at least 2 more. I would like angelfish but I'm not sure how many..most sites say either 1 or more then 3. So just one would be best? I'm thinking maybe some platys? Or catfish? What do you lovely people think? ;D

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If I haven't already, welcome to Fish Lore!

Even though your tank is 30 gallon, the fact that it's a hex really limits the number of fish you can have because there is not much horizontal swimming space compared to a regular 30 gallon. I think you could add two more tetras. A school of corys would be nice and I'm thinking there will be enough room for them but hopefully someone else will weigh in as well.

I see you've only got 14w of light and if you want to grow plants, you'll need to upgrade the lighting. Technically you've got about 0.5wpg but since hex tanks are taller than regular tanks, you've actually got less than that. You'd need at least 40w to have enough light to grow low light plants IMO.

-Lisa

Kellibear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What would you suggest for more light? From what I can gather that is the highest wattage I can get for how long my fixture is. Is there a more powerful type of fixture I can get? The widest point on my glass canopy is 19 in. Thanks for the ideas!

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
T5 lights are really good for growing plants

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Look for power compact fixtures, T5 fixtures and T5HO (high output). They'll all give you more wattage than the typical fixture.

-Lisa

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
An angel needs more vertical space than horizontal, so an angel could work. I'm unfamiliar with lemon tetras. If they are small, they could eventually be eaten by the angelfish.

Welcome, enjoy the forum.

Kellibear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
THank you for all the replys! I can't seem to find any short (16") high out put fixtures but I will continue my hunt since that seems to be my only option to keep plants.My lemon tetras are close to inch so I think they would be fine.

So I'm definitely want 1 angelfish, 6 or 8 Lemon tetras. Would I have room for some kind of bottom dweller? Any ideas?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
no, an inch is really small. Angels can get like 6 inches... they eat neons and cardinals, and fish of similar size and body shape.

Kellibear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Meenu said:
no, an inch is really small. Angels can get like 6 inches... they eat neons and cardinals, and fish of similar size and body shape.
From what I read they grow to about 2 inchs. Is that still to small? By the time any small angel I got would be that big the tetras would have grown, right?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't know. Do they also have that same torpedo shape as cardinals? Because cards get to be 2 inches, and they are not safe.

I have neons, and might get an angel. I just know that they may get eaten eventually.

Kellibear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah same type of thing as the cardinals. Always gotta be prepared for nature to change your plans.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I love my neons, but I really want an angel...so I think I'll take the risk. What do you think you're going to do?

Kellibear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm thinking ill end up getting a few more lemon tetras and try getting a small angel. I'm more then happy to have to get another tank if it doesn't work out(my hunny may not like it but its a good excuse )

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads