How many Nerites snails should I buy?

JasperBetta
My tank just finally got cycled I think? My Ammonia is maybe 0 or 0.05. The color is yellow with a hint of green in it. 0 Nitrite, 40 Nitrate. My tank is a 20 gallons with 4 bettas in it (the tank is divided in to 4 sections so each fish gets 5 gallons of space)
I’ve been noticing brown algae growing on the glass and substrate ( I have white sand so it looks really ugly with the brown algae growing on top)
I heard that Nerite snails take really good care of any algae especially brown or brown diatoms. I just wanted to know how many should I buy? I was thinking of buying 4 for my tank.
1 Nerite snail with 1 betta fish. So in total it would be 8 fishes that would be in my tank. What do you guys think? Should I wait to add them? Add them but slowly? Maybe 2 first?

378ED3AD-515B-47E5-A408-F3E1BBAE41BE.jpeg

Betta'sAnonymous
Ah, yeah 1 nerite per chamber. I would probably add 1 or 2 a week, just cuz they do tend to poop a lot. Let the filtration ease into it a bit.

JasperBetta
Betta'sAnonymous said:
Ah, yeah 1 nerite per chamber. I would probably add 1 or 2 a week, just cuz they do tend to poop a lot. Let the filtration ease into it a bit.
Yeah that’s what I was thinking. Since my tank just barely got cycle I don’t think it would be a good idea adding a huge bio load quickly. Do Nerite snails grow as big as Mystery snails?

Betta'sAnonymous
JasperBetta said:
Yeah that’s what I was thinking. Since my tank just barely got cycle I don’t think it would be a good idea adding a huge bio load quickly. Do Nerite snails grow as big as Mystery snails?
They can get pretty big, i seen a couple at my LFS the other day that were bigger than some mysteries i have seen. No clue how old they were though. I have had most of my nerites for several months and they haven't grown a lot if at all, still not much bigger than dimes.

Redroofinn
I have nerites in two of my tanks and they are great algae eaters! They even eat green spot algae that develops in my betta tank. My common nerite is about the size of a dime ( I think he's young) and my zebra nerites are about the same size as my full grown mystery snails.

Just fyi the only thing with nerites is they constantly lay small white eggs (that don't hatch in freshwater) on the hard scape or glass in the tank. It doesn't bother me but some people mind. Other than that they are awesome little cleaners!

P.S. That's a really cool looking set up! Well done!

lucky123
Unrelated, but what did you use for the dividers? Awesome setup by the way

JasperBetta
lucky123 said:
Unrelated, but what did you use for the dividers? Awesome setup by the way
I used LifeWithPets dividers. She’s on YT and sells them on her website. They are great for diving a tank and keep lots of bettas!

Latest threads

Top Bottom