How many nerite snails?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Bluegillfreak, Dec 10, 2012.

1. B

Bluegillfreak Valued Member Member

I recently had an major algae problem and someone told me nerite snails did a good job at keeping it in check and I was wondering how many I should use? I want to put some in my 10G and some in my 30G and I saw on ebay somone selling 5 for $20 and was thinking maybe 2 in the 10g and 3 in the 30g would that be enough or to many? Also is that a good price for them I dont think anywhere local carries them.

2. slimeneo

slimeneo Valued Member Member

5 sounds good to me, but once they take care most/all of the algae you might want to think about growing some algae for them to eat. I got mine at my LFS that sold 3 for $8, so to me 5 for $20 seems a bit on the expensive side...

3. OP
    OP
    B

What part of MD are you from might be fairly close to me.

I have some high light plants so I am afraid I will always have some algae unless I have snails lol.

4. slimeneo

I'm in Montgomery County, my LFS is congressional aquarium, here's their website:  
    They have a looooot of stuff but I'd say they are a little expensive. But the fish look pretty healthy (and the snails) so I suppose it's worth the extra money.

If you really have no choice than to order online for the $20, I'd say go for it :) the snails are really cute and they do a really good job at eating the algae. Mine have never escaped and I don't keep the lid on in the day, but I have heard from others that they can escape.

5. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

Have you tried on here? if so, what about aquabid or ebay?
    I agree, $4/snail seems high to me unless that includes shipping, but I'm no expert. :/ A side from my assassins to eat my snail population, only snails I've ever gotten were hitchikers from my plants!

6. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Nerites do a pretty good job of keeping the diatoms away. I have 4 in my 36 gallon tank.

The only downside ( at least for me ) is that they are escape artists and can be out of the water for days! That being said, its best to make sure that you have a secure lid. Mine also likes to go inside my HOB's. If I don't see them for a few days, I look in there and there they are!

Also, they leave white egg dots on everything! Very hard to get off of and I don't want to use a razor to scrape it off the glass in case I scratch it....

I paid about $3.00 each for mine at a lfs - they are really small, about the size of a peanut m&m

7. OP
    OP
    B

I dont use a lid on my 10G and my 30G lid stays open more than its closed. I wonder why they want to escape so much? I have a mesh lid I could chop up so my filter would fit for my 10g and I could just close up the 30g I suppose.

8. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I dunno why. When I first got mine, they stayed ABOVE the water line for over a week!!!!! During that time, I did not see when/if they went under the water. I am assuming they did but I never saw them and they were always in the same position the next day. I was really starting to get worried - I covered up all of the holes ( using Saran wrap )
    Finally about 2 weeks after I got them, they started cruising around the tank more and being more mobile. They still hang from the lid and go places they shouldn't :mad: but at least they can't get out! LOL

9. slimeneo

Hmm, that's weird. My nerites have never tried to escape and I only put on the lid at night! Mine never lay eggs either. o_O The only thing they do is chill out on the lid at night or once, I found one on the filter where the water comes out. Guess he needed a shower :D

They poop a lot though, I've noticed. Once I put one in a breeder net to clean up after my fry and instead he only made it dirtier with all his poop. ~_~

10. brodylane1122

brodylane1122 Well Known Member Member

Nerites do an amazing job with algae, but be careful about getting too many. They take care of the algae in no time, so you'll have to create more to keep them happy.

11. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I like to use 1 nerite in a 30 or less, and even my 33 long I have one. Now in my 75 I like 2 to 3 and my 40 I like 2 as its a heavily planted tank with alot of fertz and lights.

12. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I agree, it's better to have too few snails than too many. The biggest issue with snails is starvation.

13. tnfishkeeper

tnfishkeeper Valued Member Member

I have always heard that if snails continually come out of the water then it is indicative of water quality issues that they don't like. I have never had my nerites stay out for more than an hour or so and very infrequently.

14. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Two suggestions for you:

Create a thread in the Buy/Sell/Trade/Free section of the forum and title your post WTB (want to buy) Nerite Snails. Maybe someone on the forum has some they will sell to you.

Also, check with Harpua2002 via Private Message. I have bought all of my Nerites from her. I have 4 in my 33g long and several in my 265g. I've always been very pleased with Snails and Plants that I've purchased from Harpua2002 and highly recommend her.

Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice