How Many Nerite Snails For A 10 Gallon Tanks?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by FishNewbies, Apr 21, 2017.

1. FishNewbies New Member Member

I have a 10 gallon tank with 6 neon tetras and a guppies trio. I'm planning to get some nerite snails to help control algae and I wonder how many is enough for my tank? Thanks in advance.

2. Bettanewb Well Known Member Member

You may have some stocking issues of care to discuss them.

For a 10 gallon I would say no more then 2 or so.

But that depends on how much algae is in your tank. Imo

3. Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

Agree with above!

If you need algae control, you will only need 1!

4. smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldnt get more then 4 in a 10g but you shouldnt need that many to help with algae. Also they dont eat all types of algae and once the algae they eat is gone you will have to supplement their diet

5. Bettanewb Well Known Member Member

I completely disagree with that.

3 nerites in my 20 gallon long and they managed to clean every surface of my tank in less then a month.

I actually increased my photo period so I would have more algae for them to feed on even though they get fed zuccinini and snail jello

6. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with @smee82.
    Also, neon tetras need a bigger tank.

7. Bettanewb Well Known Member Member

Sorry let me edit my previous post by saying that everything that @smee82. Is correct except maybe the number of snails

8. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree about the number of snails, though you could have more provided you feed them well.

9. smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Nerites have such small bioload you could put more then 4 in a 10g but i think it might start looking like too much if you had much more then that.

10. Bettanewb Well Known Member Member

I agree and sorry again for originally disagreeing with you post that's what you get when you speed read.