how many neons and harlequins?

1. tetra17 Member Member

hey everyone.. its been awhile since ive been on fishlore but i as just wondering.. i currently have a 20 gallon tank which is fully cycled and has been running for close to 2 years now. it is home to 6 harlequin rasboras and 4 neon tetras so i as wondering how many neons i can have andhow many harlequins i can have??

i should also add that i hae hornwort, java lace fern and anubius in the aquarium with low light.

any insight would be much appreciated! thanks!

2. Landozer18 Well Known Member Member

10 and 10 would be great! small bioloads in these fish!

3. tetra17 Member Member

okay thanks fo the reply! i think 10 and 10 would look really nice but i have another question.. if i were to go with something for the bottom of my tank such as corys or another fish what would a nice amount be for each of the three fish? and also would anyone have any ideas fo the other species of fish to go on the bottom?

4. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Is it a 20H or a 20L?

With a 20L you have a lot more options to add some cories but you are already pretty close to being fully stocked so I'm not sure if you have space for another school.

5. tetra17 Member Member

its a 20 long and it doesnt need to be a school it could be a pleco or loach im open for opinions i was just curious as to what other people think!

6. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Plecos get too big for 20 gallon tanks. Loaches are schoolers.

You could maybe do a couple mystery snails. They eat algae and leftover food.

7. tetra17 Member Member

noi ont relly lie snails.. i think im gona g wih 10 neons and 10 harlequins and then get shrimp thanks for the help..

10 and 10 will be okay tho??

8. Landozer18 Well Known Member Member

Yes shrimp have a small bioload aswell. Make sure the shrimp have plenty of hiding places :) Good plan you have going good luck. I would do 6 or 7 ghost shrimp or maybe cherry shrimp.

9. tetra17 Member Member

thanks!! and i think im going to go with amano shrimp! ive had them before and had good luck with them plus i like them better then ghost shrimp

10. Landozer18 Well Known Member Member

Have fun :)