How many neon tetras

Cobra507

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
how much inches are all those fish put together?

CoryFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Cobra507 said:
how much inches are all those fish put together?
That rule is severely outdated. I think you shouldn’t add anymore fish, BN places need at leas 30 gallons and they have a high bioload so it would not be smart to add more fish,

Derek2408

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It’s trial and error sometimes when stocking a tank. If I were you, I’d bring the Plecos back. Space is at a premium in a 20 (I have one) so each fish better be awesome to look at or serve a good purpose. although guppies prob aren’t a

Whoops messed up that post ... I’d return the Plecos (they’re lame) not worth the bio load in a small tank. Plus They will outgrow the tank. Let the guppies be the star of the show. Maybe get 3-4 cories in the bottom. Or a snail or something It’s all
About balance !

ivanjay205

Valued Member
Reaction score
Derek2408 said:
Whoops messed up that post ... I’d return the Plecos (they’re lame) not worth the bio load in a small tank. Plus They will outgrow the tank. Let the guppies be the star of the show. Maybe get 3-4 cories in the bottom. Or a snail or something It’s all
About balance !
The bn is actually great fun to watch and does a great job keeping it clean. The clown is a waste but I dont think I can bring it back. The tank seems pretty empty and my levels are great. In fact for the plants I need ferts with nitrates or they keep nitrates at 5 at the highest level.

CoryFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree, just 6+ corries not 3-4.
Derek2408 said:
About balance !

Derek2408

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CoryFan said:
I agree, just 6+ corries not 3-4.
I personally don’t adhere as much to #’s when it comes to cories especially. No question they’re a schooling fish. But in a confined space like a 20 g tank.keeping 3/4 vs 6+ I just don’t buy will make much of a difference

ivanjay205

Valued Member
Reaction score
Derek2408 said:
I personally don’t adhere as much to #’s when it comes to cories especially. No question they’re a schooling fish. But in a confined space like a 20 g tank.keeping 3/4 vs 6+ I just don’t buy will make much of a difference
I had cory’s and they didnt do well for me. With the plecos present I wouldnt get more bottom feeders.

Derek2408

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ivanjay205 said:
I had cory’s and they didnt do well for me. With the plecos present I wouldnt get more bottom feeders.
That was just a suggestion if you were to remove the Plecos

ivanjay205

Valued Member
Reaction score
Derek2408 said:
That was just a suggestion if you were to remove the Plecos
Understood, I just was looking for some middle tank fish to add some color since the guppies hang at the top. Figured a school of neons would be nice.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Although it may not look like it, You reallly do not have room for more fish, especially not a school of fish.

ivanjay205

Valued Member
Reaction score
Noroomforshoe said:
Although it may not look like it, You reallly do not have room for more fish, especially not a school of fish.
I guess I dont fully understand why. The tank looks very sparse and my levels are spot on without much effort. My understanding of neons is they are near nothing in bioload which is why I thought they would be a good addition

Derek2408

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In a small tank things can go haywire quick. You’re right ,neons def have minimal impact. If you don’t want to part with the Plecos, how about the 2 random sword tails. This way you have a group of guppies and a school of neons. Maybe go 4/5

ivanjay205

Valued Member
Reaction score
Derek2408 said:
In a small tank things can go haywire quick. You’re right ,neons def have minimal impact. If you don’t want to part with the Plecos, how about the 2 random sword tails. This way you have a group of guppies and a school of neons. Maybe go 4/5
I am not sure petco or petsmart would take them back. My plan was not to replace them since they are bigger. The make died so not going to have any fry born. It is just two females.

Derek2408

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a petco a couple towns over. Ive used guppies to cycle before and when I’m done , have returned them. They won’t refund you but they’ll take them

ivanjay205

Valued Member
Reaction score
Derek2408 said:
I have a petco a couple towns over. Ive used guppies to cycle before and when I’m done , have returned them. They won’t refund you but they’ll take them
Isnt that kind of wrong on their part? If they were used for cycling they have been exposed to ammonia poisoning and are older and now someone else purchased them for their tank at home?

Derek2408

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not sure about that one. although idk , I don’t think the fish itself would cary ammonia , the water it’s in of course would buy there wasn’t any once my cycle was complete. This was a long time ago.

ivanjay205

Valued Member
Reaction score
Derek2408 said:
Not sure about that one. although idk , I don’t think the fish itself would cary ammonia , the water it’s in of course would buy there wasn’t any once my cycle was complete. This was a long time ago.
Yea just be mindful of that because if the fish suffered any ammonia poisoning it is not reversible. So the fish was not as healthy as one from a cycled tank.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I do not think that you have more room in the tank because,
A clown pleco can grow to 4 inches, a bristle nose can get over 6 inches, you have 7 guppies at 2.5 inches each. 2 sword tales at 4 inches each. And it is a lot.

neon tetra should be in a school of 8 or more. that would add 16 more inches.
the fish would not be crowded, but the bioload would be pretty high. Neons have the same amount of biolode as any fish its size.
whatever you decide, good luck!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom