How Many Neon Tetras In A 10g?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Ariel4891, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Ariel4891Valued MemberMember

Hello everyone! Its been a while! I have a cycled 10g already set up with 5 Amano shrimp currently calling it home.

I originally planned on adding a betta to the tank, but decided I didn't want to risk the betta being aggressive towards the shrimp and killing them. After some thought, I decided that I wanted to add some neon tetra into the tank.

How many would be good for a 10-gallon tank? I was thinking 6-8, but I'm not sure. I also wanted to add a few cherry shrimp.

Thoughts?

2. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

I mean, Neons arent really recommended in a 10 as theyre usually pretty active and do better in large schools, but if you wanted to try 6 you could. Just make sure theyre temp compatible with your shrimp. Neons really like 72-74 degree water.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  3. Ariel4891Valued MemberMember

I tried reading up on it, and I got conflicting info. Some sites said they are very active and require at least a 20g tank, and others said that you can put them in a 10 gal no problem (many saying you can put them in a 10g WITH a betta. No thanks...).

Do you have a better idea for what I could put in the tank? I'm open for ideas!

4. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

A betta a couple nerites and a couple shrimps...providing your tank is cycled and pretty well established...6 months or so IMO
    Edit: didn't see you already had the Amano. i think the betta may leave them alone seeing their a little larger than ghost and other types.. but at the same time all bettas are different...I'll step to the back and let a pro chime in for other options

5. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

6. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

This HAS to be a troll post. lol

7. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Why would you think that?

8. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Whatever site says you can put them with a Betta, DONT listen to it, lol. Theyre not temp compatible at all.

You have tons of options for a 10, just depends on what you want to do. Id have no problem putting 6-8 Black Neons in a 10 gallon, theyre not really that active. All the ones Ive ever kept just sit around.

9. Ariel4891Valued MemberMember

I specifically got the Amano because I planned on eventually introducing a betta. At this point I'm way too attached to the little guys to even give it a try. I have a second 10g cycling right now for the betta, so I'm just going to be patient and wait for that.

10. Susie11Valued MemberMember

I don't know

11. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

I mean, I guess youre serious and Im sorry for taking it the wrong way, but you have so many different, random species with different school sizes not being met, tank size is too small, temps are all wrong, etc., I just took it the wrong way.

12. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Temp is 75 and all fish are just fine with their school sizes. I know, because fish can't count.

13. imbaWell Known MemberMember

Neons will be ok in a 10g bioload wise. From my observation they are quite boring to look at in small tanks, as they will tend to just hoover at one spot. Put them into a bigger or wider tank with more numbers and they look amazing.

There are other nano species more suited for a 10g if you are willing to consider, e.g. galaxy rasboras, chili rasboras or rasbora maculatas to name a few ...

14. Ariel4891Valued MemberMember

I'm definitely open to suggestions! My only problem is that I feel my LFS is kind of limited. Last time I went in, they didn't have three of the fish I was looking for, all of which I thought were pretty common.

Also, I have another tank and was wondering if you thought I could put some neons in there since they'll have more room to swim. It's a 2-year-old 29g, with a temp of 74F and sporting an aquaclear 50. Current stocking is:
    8 peppered corys
    11 longfin serpae tetras
    1 bolivian ram
    an unspecified number of Malaysian trumpet snails (those bastards...)

I checked Aqadvisor, and adding 10 neons would put the stocking at 100%, but my serpae's are , so IDK...

15. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

I think your 29 is perfect. Maybe a few more Serpae's to bring them to 15, 2-4 more Peppered. I wouldnt add a new school of mid column fish to an established tank with Serpae's. All of mine are jerks and wont tolerate other small fish darting around.

16. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

I like the stock you have now would it be possible to forget the neons for that tank and add a couple more peppers and serps if it doesn't put you over the limit... the more of each of those fish will make them happy IMO especially the peppers..

17. RehananValued MemberMember

I have to say I agree with this.

18. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Still confused on this. Who says this is wrong... you? Do you have a 10 gallon tank with the exact same fish? How do you know? I hope you're not using Aqua Advisor. I am the only one in the world right now with these fish in this tank running this filter feeding them this food and it works just fine.

19. RehananValued MemberMember

I really didn't mean to offend you, when I said I had to agree with the other response, I meant more I agreed with their initial reaction your message, not that it isn't manageable. When I first read your post, I thought "wow, what a mix, so many species" but if it's working for you thats absolutely great! Never claimed to be an expert, never tried to teach you otherwise, so refrain from the belittling remarks in future.

20. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

I'm sorry. But it took me 3 weeks to train these fish to be compatible in a 10 gallon tank. Even 60 Minutes heard about it and wants me to be on their show to explain how it was done. ;-)