How many neon tetras can you add at once?

arabis

Good Afternoon! I have a fully cycled 20 gallon tank with three guppies and three platies. I would like to add some neon tetras as well, but I have read they need a school of at least six, but I have also read that you cannot add more than two fish to a tank at one time.

do you have any advice? Do you add your neon tetras two at a time? Or do you just go with the six? I’ve had a great deal of problem with fish dying in my tank adding them too quickly, so any advice would be appreciated.

Lucy

Hi!
How long has the tank been cycled? If well established you should be able to add the 6. They're pretty small with little bio-load.

As always, quarantine first as a precaution.

arabis

It took me a long, long time to get it properly cycled, but now I’m 0.25-0.5 ammonia, no nitrite, and 20 ppm nitrate. It’s been this way for three or four months!

Undertheseamomma

Hi there
Whilst I am relatively new to this hedonistic world of fish mommahood I did a lot of research and talked to many a guru of the aquatic nature.

I added my neons in schools of 6 at a time. Just to be of the safe side with the other fish nitrogen cycles, and because I don't like odd numbers. ‍

I did that over the course of a three month period, 2 more times, and have 15 (we lost three to the ruddy apple ) and a baby neon who is albino at the moment.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Redshark1
  • Question
Replies
Views
darkcat
Replies
Views
Celestialgirl