How Many Mystery Snails?

1. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Hey, guys!

I was wondering how many mystery snails you think I could have in my 20 gallon.

Planned stocking is:

A whole lot of shrimp
    Maybe 10 Corydoras habrosus

If you would mind telling me my mystery snail limits with fish and without fish that would be great!

Thank you!

2. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

There is a general rule of thumb of 1 per every 5 gallons (as long as you aren't doing algae cleaning), so I think 4-5 would be good...plus they get a little bit bigger then nerites, for example :)

I don't think there are any limits with having them! They don't bother anyone, and fish (other than puffers...but I don't think your having any puffers) shouldn't bother them either. Bettas maybe peck at them once or twice, but should leave them alone. :)

3. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Thank you! I have one brown one right now but plan to order some 'rarer' colors online. I'll probably order a pack of five or six and put a few in my other 20 gallon. They're so fun!

4. Sean Smith Member Member

Gonna have an overstocked tank . Maybe half the amount of Corries . Good luck .twenty gallon tank I would say a few but you can have to like 5 I believe in that tank size. Sorry never mind . I was thinking Cory catfish ...... watch out as the hasborus may like to attack the shrimp .... smaller tetras and guppies and the such don't attack shrimp

5. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

They're super cool! My favorites are the magentas, blacks, and golden/orange. The golden/orange one has this beautiful striping I love...looks like wooden shell lol (I got mine from MsJinkzd aka Rachel oleary)

6. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

How would a Corydoras habrosus attack a shrimp? Their mouths are down-turned like other corydoras. They may inadvertently suck up a newborn shrimp here and there, but I don't know how a 1 inch fish with a mouth like that could harm a shrimp? Correct me if I'm wrong, I seriously would like to know as this tank I'm focussing on the shrimp.

7. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Ooh! Can you post pictures of yours? I'd love to see! :D

8. Sean Smith Member Member

They won't injure the shrimp in a few hits but they like to mess around and sometimes try to take little nibbles and eventually that stress and harassment gets to the shrimp

9. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Sure! When I get home :). Hopefully I remember lol

10. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

@BeanFish, do you think the Corydoras habrosus will mess with the shrimp as said above?

11. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd do 3 max mystery snails. They poop an awful lot, lol.
    You're not going to have any top dwellers?

12. Sean Smith Member Member

So I was thinking of the wrong fish . They are Cory catfish like I first though . 10 would be too many . Keep like five . And no sorry they will not harm your shrimp unless they are just super curious . Good luck

13. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

No. Just shrimp, possibly corydoras, and snails.

14. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I don't think we're thinking of the same fish. I'm thinking of a corydoras who gets 1 inch maximum and needs a very large group. I was recommended by a member on here who owns them to keep a minimum of ten in this tank. Five would make them nervous.