How Many Mystery Snails In A 5.5 Gal. Tank?

1. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

How many Mystery Snails can I keep in a moderately planted 5.5 gal tank? They'd be the only thing in there.

2. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

You could get by with 2, maybe 3.

3. OP
    OP
    O

That's it? That's not good.

4. Katie13

That was my original reaction as well when I asked the same question. Maybe add in a betta and/or shrimp?

5. OP
    OP
    O

That is definitely surprising. Unfortunately my Betta will attack Mystery Snails (Good with everything, but Mystery Snails, go figure!). Maybe I could try and find one that won't. It'd sure look empty and kinda boring with 2-3 Mystery Snails.
    I wanted to use it as a grow out tank for baby snails if needed as well. Guess I better rethink that plan...

6. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

This is one of those things that everyone has a different answer on. It partly depends on how much calcium you're willing to supplement. They're not territorial so as long as your nitrates don't get too high I'd say you're fine.

7. OP
    OP
    O

Well I plan on feeding them high quality algae wafers, zucchini and spinach. I can also provide additional calcium if they need it. What would be the best way to do that? I also thought I'd throw in a bottom feeder wafer once a week for a little protein.

8. Katie13

What about turning it into a heavily planted tank to use for growing plants/cutting to use in other tanks (can't think of the name right now)? You could have the Mystery Snails in their to give it some extra life/movement and it wouldn't look as empty?

9. OP
    OP
    O

10. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't even put one in a 5.5 gallon tank because their bio load is very large. It would be easy for them to completely overstock a tank even with just the one. You could have an amazing cherry shrimp colony in that tank though and it would be full of color and life with black sand, green plants and bright red shrimp!

11. OP
    OP
    O

I actually just sold all of my Cherry Shrimp tonight. I had 23, lost 10 and the remaining 10 weren't breeding. I figured I'd use the tank for my blue and purple Mystery's instead.

Between this and my 29 gal and 10 gal I'm about done. It isn't fun anymore. It seems everything I want and should work, isn't/doesn't.
    Thanks for the advice though.

12. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

You could always do nerites snails, you can get smaller nerites so you can do more of them.

13. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Have you tested your shrimp tank water parameters to see what could be wrong? I found a dead shrimp once and tested and my nitrates were at 40. Anything that high and they will die so I knew what was up. Changed the water and now I am seeing two different sets of new babies. Small and microscopic lol. Sometimes it's the smallest thing that makes you think nothing is happening. I also thought mine weren't breeding but then they all started working their way out of the rock they hide in as they grew and I realized I had a lot more than I thought I did in there.

14. OP
    OP
    O

Yes I have both the Master Test kit and the KH and GH test kit. My results always 0,0.5-10. My ph is 7.2, KH 6-7, GH, 10.
    I fed them algae wafers with zuchini and sometimes a bottom feeder wafer for some extra protein. They were molting just fine.