How many more fish to add?

WiccaFish

I have a 75 gallon that is now housing
2 Pearl Gouramis
5 Fancy Tiger Barbs
1 Bristlenose Pleco
2 Roseline Sharks
2 Boesemani Rainbowfish

The tigers are being re-homed to my husband's tank and I want to add to the existing fish that remain. I know they all need to be in larger schools except the pleco but how many of each should I get? I feel bad that they are living in such small groups.

Bettalover29

I know the general rule of thumb is about 1 gal per inch the fish is. I don't know if that helped but I hope it did.

Upvote 0

FishAndDoom

I know the general rule of thumb is about 1 gal per inch the fish is. I don't know if that helped but I hope it did.
The inch per gallon rule isn't applicable. It doesn't account for things like aggression and how active the fish are. If the inch per gallon rule was the end all be all, I could stick a 10 inch oscar in a 10 gallon tank. Doesn't make too much sense when you begin to think about it more.

Upvote 0

WiccaFish

Thank you. I do know that rule of thumb
I guess I'm just trying to get expert advice as to how many I should add to each group to make them happy.
BETTA LOVER I hope you didn't take that comment as snarky? I tried putting a happy face emoji after the sentence but it didn't post with it.

Upvote 0

Bettalover29

The inch per gallon rule isn't applicable. It doesn't account for things like aggression and how active the fish are. If the inch per gallon rule was the end all be all, I could stick a 10 inch oscar in a 10 gallon tank. Doesn't make too much sense when you begin to think about it more.
Well that's true. I tend to do quite a few more gallons than recommended just for extra space and to lessen their stress.

Upvote 0

RandomFishBoi

You have plenty of stocking room left. The gouramis are fine with their current amount. I would do 6-12 of each of the schooling fish, and even then you might be able to fit more.

Upvote 0

Bettalover29

Thank you. I do know that rule of thumb
I guess I'm just trying to get expert advice as to how many I should add to each group to make them happy.
BETTA LOVER I hope you didn't take that comment as snarky? I tried putting a happy face emoji after the sentence but it didn't post with it.
Not at all! I like learning and hearing from more experienced hobbyists!

Upvote 0

WiccaFish

You have plenty of stocking room left. The gouramis are fine with their current amount. I would do 6-12 of each of the schooling fish, and even then you might be able to fit more.
Thanks for the advice. I definitely want to add more Pearls because the two I have are males and they can get pretty stressed with each other at times.

Upvote 0

Deku-Cory

4-5 Pearls, 8 Rainbows, and 8-10 Roselines would be a good stock, but you can definitely nudge those numbers around to suit what you prefer.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Thanks for the advice. I definitely want to add more Pearls because the two I have are males and they can get pretty stressed with each other at times.

Good plan. I have 9 pearl gouramis in my heavily planted 40 gallon breeder. I'm anxious to see how it works out when they all mature.

Upvote 0

WiccaFish

4-5 Pearls, 8 Rainbows, and 8-10 Roselines would be a good stock, but you can definitely nudge those numbers around to suit what you prefer.
Awesome!!! Sounds like a plan.

Upvote 0

WiccaFish

Ok, next question (and by the way, thank you guys for putting up with all my questions)
If I were to add another type of fish to the group what would you recommend and how many?
Also, should I add the new fish all in one shot or should I add slowly?

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Ok, next question (and by the way, thank you guys for putting up with all my questions)
If I were to add another type of fish to the group what would you recommend and how many?
Also, should I add the new fish all in one shot or should I add slowly?
  • I'd add a school of a single species of cory for the bottom. I'm a fan of pandas and trilineatus, but there are many options.
  • It's always a good policy to add fish slowly. I don't mean one at a time, but I wouldn't add more than 6 or so at any one time to give the bacteria colony time to adjust to the increased load. Wait a week, then add more.

Upvote 0

WiccaFish

Will the corys and the pleco have issues?

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Will the corys and the pleco have issues?

I don't think so. I have around 10 panda corys in my 65 gallon tank with a pair of Super Red plecos I got from coralbandit, and I haven't noticed any problems.

Upvote 0

DerekO24

I have a heavily stocked 20 gallon tank, so I do big water changes. Sometime 2x a week never had a problem. I’ve had the tank for 2 years, I have a good feel for it.

Upvote 0

WiccaFish

Great! Thanks for the info. The tiger barbs should be leaving next week and then I will start bringing in new fish. My only issue is that my local Pet store (PetSmart) does not carry any of the fish I currently have. I will need to order them through the mail. Anyone know of a reputable online fishe seller that ships to NJ?

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Great! Thanks for the info. The tiger barbs should be leaving next week and then I will start bringing in new fish. My only issue is that my local Pet store (PetSmart) does not carry any of the fish I currently have. I will need to order them through the mail. Anyone know of a reputable online fishe seller that ships to NJ?

The only online company I've bought fish from is Aqua Huna, and wouldn't hesitate to do so again. Their fish are sometimes a little smaller than those you'd get in stores, but their prices and shipping are very reasonable, and their customer service is very good. In these times they don't have as many fish in stock as usual, but if they don't have what you want check back occasionally.

I have a co-worker who orders from LiveAquaria and likes them.

Upvote 0

Deku-Cory

Aqua Huna, Imperial Tropicals, The Wet Spot, AquaticArts (not to be confused with Arizona Aquatic Arts), and LiveAquaria are all considered reputable sellers that ship anywhere in the main 48 states, and I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of. AquaBid also has a lot of great sellers, just check the reviews on a seller to make sure they've received a good amount of positive feedback from different users before buying. (Think of AquaBid like eBay for fish.)

Upvote 0

WiccaFish

The only online company I've bought fish from is Aqua Huna, and wouldn't hesitate to do so again. Their fish are sometimes a little smaller than those you'd get in stores, but their prices and shipping are very reasonable, and their customer service is very good. In these times they don't have as many fish in stock as usual, but if they don't have what you want check back occasionally.

I have a co-worker who orders from LiveAquaria and likes them.
Unfortunately, I've been checking in with Aqua Human several times and they don't have the fish I want in stock. Any other suggestions?

Upvote 0

CasperW

If by Roseline sharks u mean denason barbs. they need to shoel a lot.denason barbs need to be in shoels of 6+ preferably8+ and the rainbow fish need similar numbers.the tiger barbs are also quite low

Upvote 0

WiccaFish

I sent the tigers to my husband's tank and will pick up a few more to add. I'm planning on increasing the size of the Gouramis, rainbows, and denasons in my tank. Suggestions on how many of each? I have them in a 75 gallon tank.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
WiccaFish
  • Question
Replies
Views
WiccaFish
  • Question
Replies