How Many More Fish/Snails Should I Add? - Non-Standard 22 Gallon

MacMakAttack

Hi all!

I have a 25 gallon planted tank (~22 gal based on inner dimensions) with a surface area of 23 x 19 inches. Currently, I have 7 glowlight (Hengel's) rasboras and I recently introduced 5 pygmy corys after a long, arduous quarantine. There's also one assassin snail that hitchhiked its way in. For filtration, I've got an Aquaclear 30 HOB filter and am planning on adding a small sponge filter.

Over the past few weeks I've started thinking about how I want to fill out the rest of the tank. I know both the rasboras and corys would appreciate some more companions, and I've also been considering adding some nerite snails. My rough plan is to bump the rasbora population up to 10 and to add 7 more pygmy corys for a total of 12. As for the nerites, I've seen mixed opinions as to whether they would be compatible with an assassin snail. If they are, I was thinking of adding 3.

So do these numbers sound good or am I way off? And is the single assassin going to be a threat to a few nerites? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

BigManAquatics

Numbers seem good to me. Dunno about the compatibility with assassin snails though.

Upvote 0

MacMakAttack

Awesome! Thanks for the response. I'll stick with that plan and do some more research on the snails

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I don't have any experience with assassin snails either, but I wouldn't add nerite snails unless you have an algae problem. Even then it would probably be better to address the causes instead of trying to combat it with snails.

Upvote 0

MacMakAttack

JettsPapa I wouldn’t say I have an algae problem, but I have a low-tech setup and fairly bright lighting, so I definitely get some buildup on the glass and hardscape. I mostly want some nerites since they add an extra bit of life to the tank. The algae eating’s just a bonus!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AJE
  • Question
Replies
Views
isabeldiwata
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank 7 Pygmy Corys?
Replies