How Many Mollies/platys? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Little John, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Little JohnValued MemberMember

2. qchris87Well Known MemberMember

no mollies, 3 platies. You may want all males so they don't reproduce as they are very prolific.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  3. Little JohnValued MemberMember

I don't care if the reproduce.

4. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

IMO, 1 male and 3 females. You'll likely have many more in a few months or so lol

5. qchris87Well Known MemberMember

The problem with reproduction is that they pop out babies about once a month. So if you were to get females, you'd need to find a place to rehome the juveniles once they get large enough or your tank will become severely overstocked in no time.

6. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Yeah you're (qchris87) pretty much spot on! Dunno though...males can fight sometimes, but usually are pretty cool with each other...in the end, it's your call sir.

7. qchris87Well Known MemberMember

Yeah, I've had the problem of having an aggressive male. My lfs let me switch out aggressive ones until they all got along.

8. JunneFishlore LegendMember

if a 10 gallon is all you will have ( no upgrade later ) I would not go with any mollies ( produces too much waste ) and platy's are debatable. If you get platy's, you can only do maybe 6 - 8 and preferably ALL males. Females usually come from the store pregnant and you would end up with 20 + fry EACH time a females gives birth ( which can be several times even after no contact with a male )

As pointed out, even with all males theres that dominance factor with Platy's so make sure you have some hiding spots in the tank. There's not much you can do with a 10 gallon as far as space/footprint to allow enough space for the fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice