How many male guppies in a 20 gallon?

arodriguezh

I have a male guppy "species tank", I being adding them a few at a time to not mess up my cycle, I already have 13 male guppies.

I read on the internet that a 20-gallon male guppy species tank can hold upwards to 20 easily. I really want to know how many can I safely have.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10-20ppm
pH: 7.5

The tank has been set up for more than 2 months and hasn't had a problem so far. I have stem plants covering the backside of the aquarium.

I do a 25% water change every week and gravel vac the sand every 2 weeks.

The only other animal I have in the tank are 3 apple snails and 4 small nerites.

Mycatisanorange

I read for fish, 1 gallon per fish.

Flyfisha

If you wish to continue with just one water change each week then around 18- 20 might be a safe maximum. You may have to increase your volume of the one water change to 45% anyway. ?
Here is the situation as I see it. Having had tanks growing out dozens of endlers ( guppies cousins) the tanks soon look full. They become a busy soup of fish and not as pleasant to look at . I have had 80 shellies in a 22 gallon/ 82 litre tank. It’s not a pleasant sight and you can be doing 3 or more 45% water changes each week as you try and keep the water fresh. Edit ( multiple filters running in tank )

So in answer to your question.
It is my opinion that long before the fish are dying from over population the tank will look like a soup of busy fish. Not a restful thing to look at and always needing a water change.

A point to remember.
Once you add fish it’s not going to be easy to find a new home for them.

arodriguezh

If you wish to continue with just one water change each week then around 18- 20 might be a safe maximum. You may have to increase your volume of the one water change to 45% anyway. ?
Here is the situation as I see it. Having had tanks growing out dozens of endlers ( guppies cousins) the tanks soon look full. They become a busy soup of fish and not as pleasant to look at . I have had 80 shellies in a 22 gallon/ 82 litre tank. It’s not a pleasant sight and you can be doing 3 or more 45% water changes each week as you try and keep the water fresh. Edit ( multiple filters running in tank )

It is my opinion that long before the fish are dying from over population the tank will look like a soup of busy fish. Not a restful thing to look at and always needing a water change.

A point to remember.
Once you add fish it’s not going to be easy to find a new home for them.
Yeah… I agree with you I’ve done overpopulated tanks and even tho I had some perks it’s not nearly enough to justify all the work you need to do. I think I’m going to stick to 16-18 male guppies. I’m going to do the math but I think that a 5 gallon water change is enough for me (it ends up being like 30ish% when you account for all the sand and decor) but still I’m going to test my nitrates before and after my water change and I’m trying 45% (I usually only check them before)

SotaAquatics

This. This is how my 40 gallon male guppy holding tank for breeders is. I couldn't begin to tell you how many are in there but at least 100+. It works, the fish are healthy, water parameters are easy to manage with just a weekly water change, I have a lot of plants to help create divisions for the fish. However it is a very busy tank, too many fish for it to be enjoyable for any type of display tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kansas
Replies
Views
AquaticQueen
Replies
Views
Tigerburp
Replies
Views