How Many Male Guppies In A 10 Gallon?

Handelma

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Has anyone kept all male guppies in a 10 gallon? If so, how many and what were your water parameters? Did you have any aggression issues? Have you kept guppies with other fish, or is a 10 gallon too small? Just curious what others have gotten to work before I make any decisions to add to my tank.

Right now I have 2 guppies, 2 endlers, 5 blue alexrodi rasporas.

I might go out tomorrow and get 3 guppies, but i dont want it to be overcrowded that causes more aggression.

I kinda want to get a betta, but that could be disastrous and I'm only a beginner.

Any advice appreciated!

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I wouldn't exceed more than four or five males at a maximum.

Reactions: KKM

Drav

Valued Member
Reaction score
Id personally avoid doing male guppies unless you do larger numbers of them with females to balance out aggression. Id stick with mostly female and maybe one male if you really want one.

KKM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’ve kept all males in a ten gallon before with great success. A group of 5 disperses the aggression quite nicely, but I wouldn’t do any more than that. My current all-male group is no less harmonious than my female-dominated breeding colony, so it can definitely be done (males are smaller, prettier, and won’t give you unwanted fry- what’s not to love??)

To answer your question, though, you’re fully stocked.

LeviS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I’ve got about 30 six week old guppies in a 10 gallon right now, has water wisteria and hornwort. It’s not long term just raising them to sell and I’ve had no issues. Gonna separate the males and females soon. Parameters stay in check and it’s probably the cleanest self sustaining tank I have.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Has anyone kept all male guppies in a 10 gallon? If so, how many and what were your water parameters? Did you have any aggression issues? Have you kept guppies with other fish, or is a 10 gallon too small? Just curious what others have gotten to work before I make any decisions to add to my tank.

Right now I have 2 guppies, 2 endlers, 5 blue alexrodi rasporas.

I might go out tomorrow and get 3 guppies, but i dont want it to be overcrowded that causes more aggression.

I kinda want to get a betta, but that could be disastrous and I'm only a beginner.

Any advice appreciated!
If you are doing 25-50% water changes weekly, keeping an eye on your nitrate levels (below 20ppm) and cycled your tank before putting the fish in there, 3 male guppys will add very little to your bioload and would probably be okay. However, anytime you add fish-especially fish from a big box store like Petco and Petsmart, you run the risk of introducing disease. So I always advise quarantining new fish, and make sure your tank parameters are perfect! Oh, and don't get female guppys or you will be VERY overstocked in short order!

imba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
As other have mentioned, i think you are already pretty stocked with the fish you have now. If you really want more male guppies, i would just advice adding just one more.

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 10 35.7%

Top Bottom