1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

How Many Litres Do You Think These Fish Will Need?

1. k

kymmy1 New Member Member

im thinking of getting:

17 Threadfin rainbows
    1 Bolivian Ram
    1 German Blue Ram
    1 cockatoo Cichlid
    5 Khuli loaches
    4 otocinclus

How many litres will they need? The man who owns his aquarium shop said that a tank with 125L should be fine. but after I aquascape it, there will be less litres in the tank. Im not convinced that it will be big enough.

Any other opinions welcome as long as they aren't rude.

2. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

You'd need a lot more than 125 L (33 gallons to me.) But there's some stocking issues there. The otocinclus and kuhlis need schools of 6 or more. There's some temperature incompatibility too, for example the German Blue and Bolivian ram need different temperatures than each other. I'd suggest weeding that list down to your favorite fish and see (ask us) if they can live toggether, because I believe all of the fish that you mentioned can live in a 125 L tank. Just not together.

3. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

The threadfin rainbow (Iriatherina werneri) is one of my favourite fish of all time. Around here, the stores always have males, and they are often emaciated and unhealthy too. I have been looking for good ones for a while now.
    In a healthy planted tank, they are beautiful.
    They are not great community fish to keep with Cichlids. Unless the tank is very tall, the Cichlids will dominate them totally, to the point where feeding can be a problem. If you look at a threadfin, they have tiny mouths.
    You have to take a little special care of them. They are worth it.
    A lone cacatuoides will always be unhappy. And Bolivians are big to keep with threadfins (notice my mind says "build around the rainbows first!"), Alone's not great for them, either. Cichlids are socially driven creatures.
    A pair of rams at the lower end of their range (let's say 26) would be okay, though that is getting high for the threadfins.
    In a 125L, you aren't going to be able to keep 3 territorial Cichlid species anyway. That's only a metre tank, and each will want to claim at least 60-70cm for itself. Litres or gallons are not key to bottom owning Cichlids - it's cm or inches along the base. They are happy in 10cm of water if they hold enough territory.
    I would reduce to one Cichlid species, and the two different Rams are the gentlest.